• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage CD players

When I get a CD, it immediately gets ripped onto my computer using EAC and then compressed using the lossless format FLAC. Unlike MP3, etc, a decoded FLAC is identical to the original PCM signal (lossless – no “loss”). The FLAC’s are played back via the foobar2000 audio player using ASIO to send the information directly to my soundcard, bypassing the unnecessary and low-quality resampling that the windows mixer is famous for. From there it goes out the 24/192 116dB SNR analog outputs on my EMU 0404 soundcard to my Tube Preamp. I have yet to hear a standalone player that would be an upgrade over my current setup, but even if I did it would represent a huge step backward in terms of functionality. Actually having to touch the discs? :no:
 
I picked up this Kyocera DA-610CX recently, which is now my oldest player, beating out my Pioneer PD-75 by 5 years. Manufactured in October of 1986, it is built well and sounds great! Plus, it has that quasi-vintage look. I bought it to go with my Fisher 400. The champagne faceplates look good together. Retailed in 1986 for $600. Mine is sans remote, though. :sigh:

Here it is, with my Sherwood S-7300:

kyoc1.jpg
 
vintage cd

Way back in 1994/5 l went through several months of listening to cd palyers-whatever it was by name and price to around $1000. All were compared to my buddy's Denon DCD 1500 MK 11. Now have a 1500 and a 1560-both used and that's all l need....(and still cooking today!) The hardest thing was to find a remote control for the Denons but the internet got that sorted out. Oh, yeah, l still am looking for the door cover plate for the 1560--any leads?
 
Vintage CD Player

A Magnavox FD640 would be eligible for consideration. Bought one new in 84 or 85. Built like a tank. Still have it. Sometimes see them on Eprey.

Mission Audio sold the same unit supposedly "modified" for mucho dinero.

Believe it was sold in Europe as a Philips. I think these units have been discussed in the past on AK forums.

Also like the older Sony ES units.
 
Does anybody know what DAC the early 90's Philips used?Just got a CDC 925 but can't find any info on it.
 
Thanks for the link.I always seem to get ahold of oddball stuff thats never listed.It's Belgium made in 92.Hooked it up to my SX-650.Seems to sound OK.Been trying to decide on a good CDP but keep seeing mixed reveiws on OPPO's.
 
There is a nice Yamaha CDX-1110 on Audiogon. Being not quite as old as some of the other CDPs mentioned here, but from the mid-80s. I had one and thought very highly of it. But, with a CDX-1120, there was no reason to have two CDPs. It weighs in at about 31 pounds and has a transport that was made by Yamaha. Very, very solid and I believe Yamaha will still sell you a new laser for it (put it on the shelf) for about $75. Surfing eBay and Audiogon will eventually turn up one of these wonderful, older CDPs mentioned in this thread. Very little difference between the sound of my CDX-1120, Denon 1520 and new (with 192kHz upsampling) Philips. The Philips is pretty much an empty box and weighs about a third of the Yamaha and half the Denon. Think the Yamaha and Denon will continue to play long after the Philips is dead and buried.
 
I bought my Magnavox CDB460....new....in March of 1988....around $110.
Has been an EVERYDAY player since then.....no problems at all....and still sounds great!!
BTW: I picked up a Denon DCD520 at a yard sale, in VGC for $10.
Works very well and sounds quite good....BUT....not on par with the Magnavox.
It's my "rainy day" CD player for when (or IF) the Magnavox finally quits.
Steve
 
Greetings y'all , just joined up today . Reading this thread has been pretty cool . I am using a JVC XL-Z444 cd player from 89 as my main source . I think it is the original one I bought , but I did buy 2 others later on used so am not sure which one I still have? This has been a great CD player for me and as a standalone player it competes well with my TT sound wise. the nice thing abut this player is it has dig out so I have it hooked to a dac and sounds great to me . I had the chance to try it against an Arcam 9 for a week or so and the JVC/Adcom came out the winner . This machine has 1000's of hours on it I'm sure and still never skips . I pulled out my other deck , an AR-06 from '90 ? today and moved it into the living room for a little test run . The digital out on the AR doesn't work with my dac though . But it uses the Phillips swing arm laser and against the JVC/Dac combo it was pretty close. The AR seemed more laid back , maybe smoother but lacking in depth and 3d sound . Still i could live with it except I really like the ease of the japanese transports for cueing tracks and the easy remote functions . I picked up a Aiwa XC-005 this week , built very well , nice transports with co-ax and optical outputs but get "no disc" on it . Tried the cleaning and such but won't read .I really want to get this one working as one day my JVC will die and I need that digital output . Has anyone had a laser replaced on a jap cd player and what would I be looking at dollar wise ?
Cheers
john
 
It's a mistake to believe that because something has 24 bit dacs/upsamples to 192-384 khz it will automatically SOUND better. A bit like believing that because a turntable is direct drive it's better than a belt drive 'table (my apologies to all AK'ers for such a simplistic analogy, but I've just read statements like 'all modern CD players are better' written as if they're the indisputable truth).

I've used many types and makes of dac in a studio context for over 18 years, and the best sounding ones are not necessarily the ones that have the best 'on paper' specs. My reference for 'good sounding' is direct real-time synchronised comparison with the output of a professionally aligned (daily) Ampex analogue 1/2 inch mastering recorder running at 30 ips.

Some modern CD players are undoubtedly fantastic, but believing that an £80 dvd player will automatically be better than a Marantz CD94, or a Pioneer PD S901 (or many other high quality older CD players), just because it contains newer dacs is ummm....just plain untrue. Many other factors (clock accuracy being just one) have a huge impact on the way a CD player sounds. The dvd players I've listened to do not even come close to the quality of my humble Philips bitstream CD player, which is far from 'high end'.

Your EARS tell you what sounds best, not product specs/reviews/articles etc.
 
BTW: Just picked up a 1986 ADC100x.......$15.
Gives my 1988 Magnavox CDB460, a decent run for the money.
Still.....15 round decision....goes to the......Magnavox CDB460.
Next contender please......

Steve
 
you're right bull, I gott the bluebook info covered. ;)

thanks for the link fdrennen, but I did a search and read all the posts. I was looking if anyone could add anymore opinions. :)
 
bolly said:
anyone with thoughts on Technics SL-P1200?

I have a Technics SL-PS900. I believe it shares most of the same circuitry as the P1200; the P1200 being the DJ version. IMHO the PS900 is a great CD player. Nice build quality with a very stable transport mechanism and some serious attention to it's audio performance. It's part of the Super AA output series circa 1990. I especially like the variable output since the rest of my system is not in my listening room and it gives me remote capability. The rest of my system is circa Yamaha 1979 so that pre-dates both CD and wireless remote.

What's blue book on the PS900 bolly?:scratch2:
 
Sl-ps900

Hi all,

Just walk around and notice "vint age" own this great CD player (SL-PS900). I currently owned 2 sets of this great player which IMHO, the sonic performance is second to none.

Technics MASH technology with 1-bit PWM modulator was a great invention for D/A process, within this player, both analog/digital design were worth to give a respectable credit.

Digital -- The digital servo for tracking the disc is accurate and very fast, searching songs from one to other is the fastest among my owned player.

Analog -- If you open it up, you can notice Technics spend tremendous effort for the power supply circuity, MASH D/A process as well as the post analog process.

End up the result is a very detail and accurate sound reproduction, with very good S/N ratio (The spec. claimed it is 118db S/N) which I think there are rarely any player out there can come close, whatever their price are.... even todays....

In conclude, when compare with others CD player which I experience, this SL-PS900 stream out more tiny sonic details from my CD sournce, IMHO, this is a geninue great vintage CD player for one to discover.

Cheers.:yes: :music:
 
Back
Top Bottom