• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage CD players

Is there any information for an Onkyo DX-702 I inherited from my father? It's from 1991 according to the manufacture stamp on the back, but sounds VERY good.
 
Yamaha CDX-5000 (1987)

YamahaCDX-5000opentray.jpg


YamahaCDX-5000view6-1.jpg
 
My input: (no particular order)

NAD 5000
B&O Beogram CD4500 (REALLY nice Philips transport)
Denon DCD-1550
Kyocera 610
Kyocera 710
Kyocera 910
 
Kenwood DP-49: Anyone Know Anything About This One?

Just picked up a Kenwood DP-750 (July 1986) for a friend last night at GoodWill for $14.00.

All it needed was a really good cleaning (exterior) and it now looks and sounds as good as new. I absolutely love the looks of these vintage CD players, and even if "new" units are constructed better, these old ones just seem to fit in well with vintage rigs.
I found a Kenwood DP-49 in the GW about a year ago for $5.

I've been able to find out zip about it, other than it has some kind of MASH DAC.

However, this el cheapo player is the best sounding MASH DAC CD player I've ever heard! It has the dynamic range of a multi-bit DAC with the sweetness and smoothness of the best single-bit or MASH DAC's.

Since I've been unable to find any info on this unit, I'm guessing it came out of a rack system, but man, does it sure sound good! :cool:
 
Friendly tip that most of you probably already know:

When cleaning the exterior of these old CDP's, use alcohol-wipes (found in a plastic container much like Armor-all wipes).

I used to spend hours trying to clean old dirt and grime off the exterior (and interior cover) with Windex and it never worked. The alcohol cuts through the troubled areas immediately. I them use a bit of the green Windex as a final coat and them Meguires Clear Plastic Polish for the display area. The last two vintage CDP's I picked-up and GoodWill honestly look like new now.
 
Once, again, Sony don't get no respect.

The early Sony ES series CDPs were and are great machines. While the op-amps and whatever can be upgraded, their quality construction was second to none. And they sound very good, even by today's standards. My brother's -707ES is a terrific piece. When the CD tray opens or closes it is like its on ice. The smoothest operation of any CD machine I've ever played with. Easily the equal of my Denon DCD-1500. His Sony probably weighs close to twice what my Denon weighs and both are single play machines from the mid-80's, which qualifies as 'vintage' where CD is concerned.

I have and still use an old Sony ES CDP, and I think it sounds a lot better than most newer CD players I've heard.
 
For those into vintage cdps there are some first gen cd players up on the swedish branch of "el auctionero" suppose the seller wont ship overseas but I whould if anyone is interested in them!

Auction 1
Auction 2

Well, those look awesome, any1 know of other brands that have similar models like this, stand-alone front loaders? I'd be looking to buy silver fronts but I'm interested in seeing any models.
 
Nakamichi OMS-5

I'll throw in a vote for the Nakamichi OMS series, mine is an OMS-5.

A very warm sound - like a good quality turntable. Only thing is that this unit does not play burned CD's consistently. Burned CD's are highly variable in quality of course.

It plays all factory pressed CD's perfectly.

That Yamaha looks to be of outstanding quality - wow.
 
Model of Laser Optical Pickup

Please can you help me about next pictures:
CD907_LASER_2.jpg


CD907_LASER.jpg


I am looking for any info about that optical laser pickup. It is from Sansui CD Player model CD Alpha 907 from the year 1987, and only what I can read on it is "CMK-81".

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Regards!
 
I run a Technics SL P222 that I bought new in '88. Optical out, headphone jack with independent volume control, variable output, 4 DA converters.(18 bit) It's a little finicky about opening and closing the door sometimes and it wont read mp3's...but I dont like mp3 format anyway! As far as sound quality...I cant see getting into anything for under $1K to replace it so I deal with the sticky door! The RCA out had to be re-soldered a couple times but......it still chuggs along. It wasn't cheap in 88 but I would think if you can get your pick one up second hand it would be a real score.
 
Please can you help me about next pictures:
CD907_LASER_2.jpg


CD907_LASER.jpg


I am looking for any info about that optical laser pickup. It is from Sansui CD Player model CD Alpha 907 from the year 1987, and only what I can read on it is "CMK-81".

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Regards!


Hi,

In this site

http://www.vasiltech.nm.ru/files/cd-players/CD-Player-DAC-Transport.htm

there is an entry for SANSUI CD-a907. It says that it has a "magnetic" transport(?). In this other site http://www.vcdpickup.com/BAKUP INDEX.htm it is mentioned that CMK-81 is a Pioneer laser pickup. I´m not sure of any of these statements, though.

Good luck!
 
That site isnt so "valuable" because for SANSUI CD-a907 is written that it has 4 x PCM56P ? / PCM54HP , but truth is 2 x PCM56P DACs

there is an entry for SANSUI CD-a907. It says that it has a "magnetic" transport(?). In this other site http://www.vcdpickup.com/BAKUP INDEX.htm it is mentioned that CMK-81 is a Pioneer laser pickup. I´m not sure of any of these statements, though.

Good luck!

And that second site I have already found, I sent them one e-mail, but without any response:no:

Regards!
 
Reviving an old thread :)



Yesterday I picked up a beautiful AKAI CD-A70 CD player at Good Will. Can't believe someone gave this old girl up? Seriously looks like it was put away and stored in a closet the past 20 years. Just your basic inside / outside cleaning and this one now passes for new! Not a single scratch even on the cover!
I just dug my old Akai CD-A70 out of the attic. It's been up there since 1999 in temperatures fluctuating between -10F to 140F (-23C to 60C). Surprisingly it fired right up and still works. It has the same problem it did when I used it last, that sometimes you need to hit play a few times before a disc would start. I also found the remote, but haven't tried it yet.

I've had it since new. What made me buy this one back in 1986, was the programmability. It has a full keypad, along with 'TO', 'AND', 'WITHOUT' buttons. So, you could program songs 1 TO 15 WITHOUT 5 AND 8. I thought it was cool at the time, but I doubt I ever used that feature. I replaced it with a Technics SL-MC400 110+1 changer.
 
As I am currently considering going on the hunt for a vintage CDP, I figured I would resurrect this thread... lots of interesting reading here. As inexpensive as some of the CDP units are used I might wind up with more than one, depending on what I find and where I find 'em.
 
Back
Top Bottom