• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage CD players

Vintage CD + DAC (Vintage Too)

I currently run a Denon DCD 1500 that I got used a year ago to replace my 19 year old Denon DCD910. I was at my local stereo shop Saturday looking through the used gear when I noticed that they had many used Audio Research components. It was actually a tube amp that caught my eye but the sales guy thought that given my system, I would notice the most difference from a DAC -- in this case a Audio Research DAC2.

I bought the DAC2 expecting great things. I have played it for two days solid doing A/B tests against the 1500's analog output. I really don't hear much if any difference. To make sure that I could hear anything at all I substituted the DCD 910. There was an increase in clarity, and depth (perhaps sounstage). Voices seemed warmer as well. However, against the 1500 the DAC2 is no better.

Perhaps this is because both the 1500 and the DAC2 use a 20bit D/A. I think both the DAC2 and 1500 are about the same vintage --about early 90's. But the DAC2 was originally around $3750 vs. $1500 for the DCD 1500.

I have a 10 day trial on the DAC2 but think it is going back. Perhaps the DAC3 will be a better bet -- but very costly.

What are the thoughts of the AK'ers out there -- how much do you need to spend on a DAC to get a monumental increase in performance over something like the Denon DCD 1500? So far the best performance gain I have got from my system has been through my Bottlehead preamp.

System: Adcom GFA 555 MKII Amp, Bottlehead Foreplay II (modded) preamp, Denon DCD 1500 CD and KEF Q75.2 speakers.
 
well, what's best? anymore for me it's what doesn't break. my first cdp was a b& o beogram cdx. looks cool. i've bought newer players but keep the cdx as a backup. and as all of my newer units have broken, i just pull out the cdx and she fires right up. oh, she sounds a little thin compared to the newer ones, but she works everytime. she's a good old girl...
 
dhayes5 said:
But the DAC2 was originally around $3750 vs. $1500 for the DCD 1500.
My work-bench CDP is also a DCD 1500. Was surprised to read that it was $1500 when new. So looked it up on Orion's 2007 list and it had an MRSP of $630, 1985-87. Agree that it is a very nice sounding and perfroming CDP, but not a giant killer.
 
I don't have an Orion to confirm it, but pretty sure there was significant difference (in performance and price) between a plain 1500, which I own, and 1500 Mk II, which I'm pretty sure superseded the 1500. The Mk II may have jumped way up in MSRP, but not sure even it went as high as $1500. My 1700 was somewhere around $950 discounted in '88.
 
Yep.....DCD 1500 MkII replaced the 1500 in 1987. Had 4x over-sampling. Price jumped up to $675. DCD 1700 also came out in 1987. MRSP was $900. As always, Orion is subject to errors.
 
Dac

Apologies for getting the cost wrong on the DCD 1500 -- But that really was not the point of the post now was it.

I checked again and actually I have a DCD 1560. My point was that it sounded as good to me as the Audio Research DAC2 and my question was around how much I would need to spend on a DAC to out perform the 1560.

I was looking for some feedback from people who may have upgraded to a better DAC than the built in electronics in the 1560 or other similar experiences.
 
Reviving an old thread :)

I'm a big vintage CD player fan. I love the looks and many times I love the sound. Just something about them.

Yesterday I picked up a beautiful AKAI CD-A70 CD player at Good Will. Can't believe someone gave this old girl up? Seriously looks like it was put away and stored in a closet the past 20 years. Just your basic inside / outside cleaning and this one now passes for new! Not a single scratch even on the cover!

Manufacturing date is May, 1986 in Japan. I popped the hood and it's mostly Sony parts. The faceplate is really neat... very 80's! The tray is a typical deign, but larger than single trays from the mid 80's... almost like my Yamaha CD-1, but of course not nearly as unique. Standard band and gear design.

I'm using a neat little set of 12" Kimber Cables (Blue) to connnect to my Marantz 2335 running through a set of Pioneer CS-99A's. Sound is wonderful!
 
Yesterday I picked up a beautiful AKAI CD-A70 CD player >>>>SNIP>>>>. Sound is wonderful!
Amazing isn't it — a second generation player. For a long time I took stock in the old saw that newer players were so very much better and even the best of the older ones were boring and/or unpleasant. Well, I don't carry with that anymore.
 
Amazing isn't it — a second generation player. For a long time I took stock in the old saw that newer players were so very much better and even the best of the older ones were boring and/or unpleasant. Well, I don't carry with that anymore.

I've never purchased a "new" CDP as I've always been happy with my vintage models. I only play 2-channel / standard stuff anyway, so I really don't think I'm missing anything, especially since all of my systems are vintage (Sansui / Pioneer / Marantz). The 80's CD players match the look of my vintage system(s) better and the sound is great. I must say, the music produced in my Yamaha CD-1 is better than any digital source I've ever heard.

I'm sure there are some really nice SACD players out there, but I have no intention of paying several thousand dollars on a digital format. The Akai cost me a whopping $19.99 and by chance I found the remote on ebay just this morning for another $7.99. Best $28.00 I've spent since I paid $35.00 for a beautiful Technics SL-P500 CDP a couple of years ago :)
 
I am using an Onkyo dx-788f and Onkyo dx-c909 with very good results. The Onk 788f is a balanced cdp and goes well with my Onk p-388f preamp.
 
I would "assume" second generation players (1986ish) were manufactured with alternate (perhaps better) laser(s) for readability?

My wonderful / like new Yamaha CD-1 (1983) reads some CD-R's, but certainly not all. My much cheaper RCA and Akai CD players (both 1986) read every single CD and CD-R I throw at them.

Thoughts?
 
Putting extra systems together has led me to buy a Denon DCD 1400, a Mission PCM II and a Technics SL-P1200. My own player is a Rotel RCD 907BX. They all work and sound great.
 
I just picked up a Harmon Kardon HD100. I could not resist the silver face. That brings my vintage cd player count up to 4, so I guess I am a collector, at least by default.
 
Hi all,

I don't know if they have been mentioned yet as I haven't had time to go through all the posts, but Teac/Esoteric made some amazing older CD players. I have an Esoteric CD-Z5000, which is the same as the Teac CD-Z5000. WOW, the clamping mech. on these are very good. Has both digital and analog outputs. This player is built like a tank. Aluminum face plate and a kind of dampening material on the top and side cover. This thing is outstanding. I love vinyl and so do a few of my friends. One of them has said that if they had my CD player they would sell there vinyl collection. It's that good. Oh, and the remote is aluminum as well.

Attached are a few photos of my Esoteric.



Andrew
 

Attachments

  • Esoteric front.jpg
    Esoteric front.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Esoteric top.jpg
    Esoteric top.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 107
  • Esoteric Front lft.jpg
    Esoteric Front lft.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 106
For those into vintage cdps there are some first gen cd players up on the swedish branch of "el auctionero" suppose the seller wont ship overseas but I whould if anyone is interested in them!

Auction 1
Auction 2
 

Attachments

  • 59600913_2.jpg
    59600913_2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 105
Anyway, why is it that some vintage cdp's will play anything including cdr's and others won't ? Example : My Technics SL-P770 will play any and all cd's, but my sticky sweet Pioneer PD-71 won't play any cdr's.
 
Just picked up a Kenwood DP-750 (July 1986) for a friend last night at GoodWill for $14.00.

All it needed was a really good cleaning (exterior) and it now looks and sounds as good as new. I absolutely love the looks of these vintage CD players, and even if "new" units are constructed better, these old ones just seem to fit in well with vintage rigs.
 
Anyway, why is it that some vintage cdp's will play anything including cdr's and others won't ? Example : My Technics SL-P770 will play any and all cd's, but my sticky sweet Pioneer PD-71 won't play any cdr's.

A friend of mine has that problem with a newer Pioneer changer. They didn't mention the fact that cdr's won't play on it, and he tried to raise the issue with Pioneer but didn't get anywhere. He's not a happy camper.
 
Back
Top Bottom