• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

"Vinyls"

I feel exactly the same way regarding incorrectly referring to digital audio discs as CDs.

The correct term is DAD, and it should be universally changed to DAD. DAD is digital audio disc, just as DVD is digital video disc. It makes a whole lot more sense than CD.

Don't you need to blame Phillips for that?

Weren't they the ones that branded DADs Compact Disks?


.

Either them or Sony. Maybe both. And since they jointly invented the bloody things, they could have called them "Fred" and it would be proper.

When the f&(k did "record player" become "tuntable"? And why?

Ages ago. A "record player" is generally considered to be an all-in-one unit. Think Califone or any console.
 
My buddy calls a turntable a "deck" he "throws" a "spin" on the "deck"

I don't hate him for this, I smile and am glad to spin, throw whatever to here it.
 
Im trying to remember back in the 80s when did we if ever refer to them as vinyl? I really cant remember. Was it only when refering to it as in what format we bought a single album in? I know i never said "lets listen to a vinyl". But i may have said i boughtnthat on vinyl, butbreallyncant remember.


I do rememberbthinking now that cds are out i have to buy my favorites on cd and thinking it sounded amazing.
 
Im trying to remember back in the 80s when did we if ever refer to them as vinyl? I really cant remember. Was it only when refering to it as in what format we bought a single album in? I know i never said "lets listen to a vinyl". But i may have said i boughtnthat on vinyl, butbreallyncant remember.


I do rememberbthinking now that cds are out i have to buy my favorites on cd and thinking it sounded amazing.

No, probably said 'let's listen to (or spin) some vinyl' though - I know I did.

We said:

-spinning discs
-playing records (rekkids)
-listening to records (rekkids)
-playing an album
-hack a stack of wax (ok, maybe not)

I remember the CD promise of 'perfect sound forever' and hastily purchased much of my vinyl collection on CD. Never actualy thought it sounded better but attributed that to the crappy CD player I had (with analog brick wall filter). Luckily I never pitched my rekkids, and still have the CDs.
 
In brazil the term records never existed for records, believe it or not records were and still are called "disco" or plural "discos" and this i believe was even before the 70s disco music craze. The word Vinil though (thats how its spelled in portuguese) was and still is used to differentiate between a "disco em cd" (record on cd) and a "disco em vinil" (record on vinyl). A record store in brazil is a "loja de discos".

For example rolling stone magazine list of brazils all time top 100 records (discos). http://rollingstone.uol.com.br/listas/os-100-maiores-discos-da-musica-brasileira/
 
Last edited:
Vinyl is a material. A speaker who uses the word 'vinyls' instead of vinyl implies that he/she is talking about multiple differing types of a particular kind of material. In any case you're not listening to the material. I hate when people say that they have 'stuffs' for sale also. Damn - that one drives me up a treez.
 
In brazil the term records never existed for records, believe it or not records were and still are called "disco" or plural "discos" and this i believe was even before the 70s disco music craze. The word Vinil though (thats how its spelled in portuguese) was and still is used to differentiate between a "disco em cd" (record on cd) and a "disco em vinil" (record on vinyl). A record store in brazil is a "loja de discos".

For example rolling stone magazine list of brazils all time top 100 records (discos). http://rollingstone.uol.com.br/listas/os-100-maiores-discos-da-musica-brasileira/

Well of course, the term discos comes from the word disc. Spanish records are also called discos.
 
I will say that something was "issued on vinyl". I probably have referred to my vinyl collection. But I play and listen to my records.
 
Vinyl is a material. A speaker who uses the word 'vinyls' instead of vinyl implies that he/she is talking about multiple differing types of a particular kind of material. In any case you're not listening to the material. I hate when people say that they have 'stuffs' for sale also. Damn - that one drives me up a treez.

"Gears", too.
 
When the f&(k did "record player" become "tuntable"? And why?

I like to call it a "deck." This lack of specificity makes it a much cooler word. Plus, "deck" can also refer to a skateboard, making it hard for the non-hipster to know what I'm talking about. Keeps the squares in the dark, you know.
 
"Vinyls" -

Vinyls_zps916c9a84.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

"Records" -

Records_zpsf8943781.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Last edited:
Well of course, the term discos comes from the word disc. Spanish records are also called discos.

Yup:thmbsp: I grew up on the island of Puerto Rico, and discos is what we listened to. Really nothing to do with the Disco genre. Now, I always "Listened to my records"
 
I hate acronyms!!!

I had a friend online who wrote very well, as time went by and more texting took over it was :wtf: did you just say? :no:

The ironic use of the wtf tag in a post complaining about acronyms was not lost on me.

rofl.
 
Back
Top Bottom