• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

"Vinyls"

In response to questions re: when did "record player" become "turntable"?

Ages ago. A "record player" is generally considered to be an all-in-one unit. Think Califone or any console.

Might be generational: until this day my father refers to the apparatus embedded within his 200-feet wide "console" as the record player. (I think it's some Garrard model). But if by "console" (per your quote) you've taken this into consideration, I concur.

I like to call it a "deck." This lack of specificity makes it a much cooler word. Plus, "deck" can also refer to a skateboard, making it hard for the non-hipster to know what I'm talking about. Keeps the squares in the dark, you know.

I like this terminology. Hereafter I shall refer to my AR "The Turntable" as the deck, whether or not I ever get round to unpacking, setting it up, and using it again.
 
For what's it worth I'm pushing 62. My Dad opened a T.V. repair shop back in the early sixties. Once a month he traveled to Baltimore to a huge retail "record" outlet and picked up the latest and hottest LP'S. The 45's and 33 1/3's were both called, who all were involved, as "records". Period. The only distinction to my memory was the LP which was the 33 1/3 album.
Today ... Vinyl. Whatever floats your boat.
 
My understanding is that the plural of vinyl is vinyl. Like the plural of deer.

A record is a document of an event. Therefore all recordings are records.

An album is a collection of similar things to be presented together.

So... I just heard this great record at my friend's house. He has it on 1/4 inch tape, but I think I'll buy the album on vinyl. I will probably buy a lot of vinyl while I'm at the shop because of a sale this weekend.
 
My understanding is that the plural of vinyl is vinyl. Like the plural of deer.

I doh no where yer frum, but out heres we drink beers an shoot deers...


:stupid:

drinkin_beer_shootin_deer_tee.jpg
 
Irritates the living **** out of me as well. Don't know why, just does.

Mike

Was in the thrift paying .50 for my Victor Borge record. I glance down at the counter and see ' vinyls' 50 cents. And I said to the gal you are butchering the Queens English. She agreed.
 
While I understand that language evolves with the using culture, I lament the loss of useful and descriptive words due to ignorance. All too often I hear someone using the words f**k and s**t as noun, verb, adjective and modifier (frequently in the same sentence) because they have no idea how to speak otherwise. I've learned to use only small words at work because the current group of youngsters don't seem to have ever heard many words commonly in use even ten years ago. Speaking with them is like looking at a picture of only different shades of white. Bland and boring. Sometimes a guy will take great pains to describe an experience and I will then say, "There's a word for that." Usually they don't care.
Sadly, as I am exposed less and less to a common depth and breadth of vocabulary, I find that my own grows steadily less varied as well. I reread things I wrote twenty years ago and marvel at how well spoken I used to be, wondering where that guy went. There is probably a word for that.
Yes, language evolves. But is it always good? And is evolution through ignorance and laziness really necessary?
 
Wow-88 posts and counting on a thread started only a day ago, on a subject with no conclusion, which we passionately debate.

We all need to get out more.......
 
I doh no where yer frum, but out heres we drink beers an shoot deers...

I grew up in New Orleans - the very deep South. I agree English (especially U.S. English) is pretty difficult. Keep trying, you'll get the hang of it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that the plural of vinyl is vinyl. Like the plural of deer.

Bingo. "Vinyl", like "deer", is a noncount noun.

Feel free to talk about all the deers munching your garden, but doing so will not help me take you seriously when discussing the subject.

Taking it a step further, if you say "deers" and want to have a discussion about them while professing knowledge or enthusiasm about the animals, I'll think you're a willfully ignorant dolt, unworthy of my time and attention.
 
I fix dem turntablz. And a few of doze az well.
Tomorrow, Iz go to getz dem hairz cutz. I look like a balding hippie.
 
Bingo. "Vinyl", like "deer", is a noncount noun.

Feel free to talk about all the deers munching your garden, but doing so will not help me take you seriously when discussing the subject.

Taking it a step further, if you say "deers" and want to have a discussion about them while professing knowledge or enthusiasm about the animals, I'll think you're a willfully ignorant dolt, unworthy of my time and attention.

Anyone wanting to become a member must read this to be allowed in. And to swear to it.
We don't speak in phonetics around here.
 
I learned the importance of testing and verifying results before making statements by others questioning the source of my opinions.

I learned to be polite in company by others being polite in my presence, and by observing the rewards of such behavior.

I learned to express myself more effectively through conversing with those better educated than myself.

Then I learned to turn a blind eye to the ignorance of others for fear of "hurting their feelings" or, more accurately, for fear of being attacked for hurting their feelings. It's sad, really.

My understanding has always been that we are responsible. Oh, well.
 
Back
Top Bottom