• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

"Vinyls"

Yes, language evolves. But is it always good? And is evolution through ignorance and laziness really necessary?

In my opinion, it is neither good nor bad. It simply is. We don't speak English how it was spoken in the 18th century. We don't even speak it how it was spoken in the 1950's. In 50 years, standard American English (if such a thing even exists) will be spoken in a dramatically different way, as has happened repeatedly over the course of history. While one might be partial to a particular variant of English, be it a certain dialect or the way it was spoken in a certain period of time, how could this be anything but a subjective opinion?

There's a difference between maintaining the basic structure of a language (not allowing structures that don't make any sense at all) and insisting on keeping everything the way it is simply to do so.
 
Yes, but what you just wrote would be perfectly understandable to a reader of 200 years ago, and certainly to anybody from the '50s. I'm guessing you're my age (early 50s) or at least in that ballpark.

But everything accelerates, and a lot of things I see written these days would be utterly incomprehensible to readers from as recent an era as the early '90s.
 
Well, if we're going to get REALLY correct.. we should be calling them Polyvinyl Chlorides..... Or PVC's for short...
 
I've always felt that the sort of people who refer to records as "vinyls" are probably the same people who refer to styli as "needles".

I just chuckle inwardly and move on...
 
I've always felt that the sort of people who refer to records as "vinyls" are probably the same people who refer to styli as "needles".

I just chuckle inwardly and move on...

And here we could start another debate... Styli would be considered more the scientific, or Latin plural of stylus. It has been more common to see the plural of stylus to be styluses in years past. Especially when it was related to a pencil or pen.. Only once I got on AK have I heard people call multiple needles Styli...

(BTW, both versions are correct)
 
There's some great Vinyl Stores in my area. Really looking forward to Vinyl Store Day this year and buying lots of vinyls! Nah......just doesn't sound right to me!
 
There's some great Vinyl Stores in my area. Really looking forward to Vinyl Store Day this year and buying lots of vinyls! Nah......just doesn't sound right to me!

I agree, it's always been Record, Album or LP... Vinyl is the new hipster word.... I'm not a hip guy... although I often look like a hippy, not to be confused with a hipster.
 
I've always felt that the sort of people who refer to records as "vinyls" are probably the same people who refer to styli as "needles".

I just chuckle inwardly and move on...

You may be chuckling but you are wrong. Vinyl is a term popularized by the newer generation, needles is most certainly a golden oldie.

We used the term needle in the 50 's and 60's and probably even before that. Heck, Edison might have called it a needle!

We had phonographs or record players (not turntables) and they had "needles". These needles looks like small nails and they fit into the arm via a set screw. None of ths VTF/VTA, antiskate or rake angle stuff.

The term stylus came later.
 
The language police in Quebec have tried and as a result, have stifled the French language in it's archaic form. Ask anybody from France, Belgium, Switzerland, and maybe even the Ivory Coast!

Is this statement from the top of your head, or from the bottom.
You should really get out more, and learn a few things outside of your province, Ontario, ehhhhh,,,

They don't speak French in the Ivory Coast, Belgium, and Switzerland, but they do, "dans la Côte d'Ivoire, la Belgique, et la Suisse"

By the way, you forgot to ask these countries,,,

Benin, Burkina, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Congo, Democratic Republic of, Djibouti, Gabon, Guinea, Haiti, Luxembourg, Madagascar,
Mali, Monaco, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Togo, Vanuatu, Vietnam, and Canada.
 
Last edited:
I've always felt that the sort of people who refer to records as "vinyls" are probably the same people who refer to styli as "needles".

I just chuckle inwardly and move on...


I don't know about that. The term "needle" was used back in the day.
 
Last edited:
You may be chuckling but you are wrong. Vinyl is a term popularized by the newer generation, needles is most certainly a golden oldie.

We used the term needle in the 50 's and 60's and probably even before that. Heck, Edison might have called it a needle!

We had phonographs or record players (not turntables) and they had "needles". These needles looks like small nails and they fit into the arm via a set screw. None of ths VTF/VTA, antiskate or rake angle stuff.

The term stylus came later.

Right! Although, I'm not sure when the term stylus was introduced.

EDIT: I think both terms were used concurrently, at least back in the 50s and 60s. Needle very well may have been used earlier though, as you say. That would be interesting to find out about that.
 
Last edited:
I say 'vinyls' because I think it is funny, with the added benefit of apparently annoying people who have nothing better to obsess about... :naughty:
 
I call them records because that's what we called them. "Needle" is also what we called a stylus back then. A lot of the old sleeves on records would give you tips on caring and replacing your "Needle"
 
Yup, told my mom I needed a new needle for my record player so my records would not sound bad......circa 1978. My Mom asked me a couple of years ago how many vinyls I had so far.....I yelled "MOM!!!"
 
Does your mom happen to be a nice shade of green? Frogs are understandably very sensitive at the mere mention of needles. She was simply getting back at you, fellow A.K. member Kermit.
 
Back
Top Bottom