• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha GT-2000 Turntable Social Group

According to the calculators I shouldn't be using the Soundsmith cartridge either. Try the AT in the 2000L arm, and let us know how much you love the sound of the GT 2000L.

What are the other components in the system you will be using it in?

Theophile. I have mixture of new, old components and speakers. I have a Yamaha TX-1000, CX-1000 and MX-1000 that have been refurbished, minus the big 4 in the MX, plus a Yamaha 1040 bluray for digital. Kilpsch RF7ii's and an SVS SB13-Ultra. I did finally see a thread where someone uses the OC9 just fine. Right I'm waiting on HIFIDO to tell me its ready for purchase. I will keep my PX2 and PX3 as well. I'll find a use for them in the house somewhere. Thank you all for the responses.
 
Theo i have a question about my gt2000l. I have the auto lift mechanism on mine and it sometimes doesnt hold the tonearm up it drops in down on the run out and picks it up again and then sometimes repeats. I have thr dial on the ato lifter set on 7 1/4. Ive noticed 2 holes on the lifter do i have to add oil in these holes or may it need to be looked at but good luck with finding someone to fix it. Also has anyone that has a gt2000 or 2000l had their tt recapped id like to get this done but i have the same problem no techs to work on it. I know you need to use nichion caps. Anyone know someone in pa,ny or nj that can do the job. I can take the tt to them as ill never ship this treasure. This is the best tt i have ever had ive had many hours of listening and hope to have many more. Brad
 
Theo i have a question about my gt2000l. I have the auto lift mechanism on mine and it sometimes doesnt hold the tonearm up it drops in down on the run out and picks it up again and then sometimes repeats. I have thr dial on the ato lifter set on 7 1/4. Ive noticed 2 holes on the lifter do i have to add oil in these holes or may it need to be looked at but good luck with finding someone to fix it. Also has anyone that has a gt2000 or 2000l had their tt recapped id like to get this done but i have the same problem no techs to work on it. I know you need to use nichion caps. Anyone know someone in pa,ny or nj that can do the job. I can take the tt to them as ill never ship this treasure. This is the best tt i have ever had ive had many hours of listening and hope to have many more. Brad

Hi Brad, I have a lot of experience with these- I've owned seven in the past year and have sold all but two after doing the full recap/restore on them all- I'm keeping one and the other needs an arm as I broke it when standing it up on its side to do a recap. I've been holding out hope for a replacement YA-39 but no luck yet...

Since I'm about done with the hobby and won't be doing any more GT-2000's I'll give you the inside scoop; A GT-2000 has got to be about the easiest turntable to do a recap on- other than that breaking the arm moving it part... :-) There are two small PCB's inside, containing either 16 or 17 caps total depending on your version (more on that below); The PCB's remove with #1 one having six screws and pulling two plugs (it has 13 caps) and the other can remove with three screws, unsoldering four wires and pilling about 5 or 6 plugs (it has only two or three caps for the PSU). If you can solder at all you can do the job yourself and leave the latter PCB in the plinth and do the other one outside-On most of them (but not all) the PCB's are labeled on both sides

There are two different types of PSU boards in these tables-most folk don't know that as they usually only own one of these monsters and then probably don't open it up. The most common by far in my experience uses one 6800uf psu cap shown on the picture I uploaded, whereas rarer version uses a pair of 1000uf caps. I use Nichicon FG's but there are 3 NP caps that I use Nichicon Muse for. Yes it is total overkill as there is no audio running through these circuits, but the price difference is maybe $5 and you'll know you're using the best.

Not that anyone wants to hear it, but the internal recap outperforms a YOP-1 in measured voltage stability and noise floor- I learned that the $$$ way. But I would bet that a recapped YOP-1 or a more modern clone built well could swing that result the other way, as I was comparing an original YOP-1 with original parts to the audio grade refresh. I didn't bother to try it and sold mine with a table a few months ago.

As far as your YAL-1 goes I highly doubt that it is an oiling problem-sounds like the arm goes up and down just fine, but too often. It sounds like an intermittent connection at the arm. Again (gotta love this Yamaha design) you can pull the arm with two bolts and check those two larger plugs and possibly clean the contacts. Hope this helps- MYamaha GT-2000-#04479 (4).JPG
 
Captmark: Very interesting! Would you happen to have a list of the parts needed?

Not that anyone wants to hear it, but the internal recap outperforms a YOP-1 in measured voltage stability and noise floor- I learned that the $$$ way. But I would bet that a recapped YOP-1 or a more modern clone built well could swing that result the other way, as I was comparing an original YOP-1 with original parts to the audio grade refresh. I didn't bother to try it and sold mine with a table a few months ago.

I have a current YOP-1 clone. Are the internal boards bypassed when using it or would there be some benefit from recapping?
 
Captmark: Very interesting! Would you happen to have a list of the parts needed?

Thanx capt mark would you have a list of the caps you need. Would you try to get nichion caps. Thanx alot

Cap Position-Value (uf)-Voltage. The voltage values are the ones I use which are a little higher than stock in most cases. I don't have a stock GT 2K here to compare

Board 1:
C1 4.7 25
C2 0.47 50
C3 4.7 25
C4 0.47 50
C23 10 25
C24 1 50
C25 10 25
C26 33 25 Bi Polar
C27 33 25 Bi Polar
C28 1 50
C31 1 50

Board 2:
C104 10 50
C105 10 50
C106 2.2 Bi Polar
Mid 470 35
Big 6800 50

I have a current YOP-1 clone. Are the internal boards bypassed when using it or would there be some benefit from recapping?

Cap Position-Value (uf)-Voltage. The voltage values are the ones I use which are a little higher than stock in most cases. I don't have a stock GT 2K here to compare

Board 1:
C1 4.7 25
C2 0.47 50
C3 4.7 25
C4 0.47 50
C23 10 25
C24 1 50
C25 10 25
C26 33 25 Bi Polar
C27 33 25 Bi Polar
C28 1 50
C31 1 50

Board 2:
C104 10 50
C105 10 50
C106 2.2 Bi Polar
Mid 470 35
Big 6800 50


To be honest, I never opened up my YOP-1 when I had it. My guess is it only replaces the power supply chain, since the motor, YAL-1 (if you have one) and switches still are connected to the internal PCB's whether you have a YOP-1/clone or not, so some kind of voltage is still going through them regardless. I would definitely do the control board for peace of mind and the fact it is so easily removable. Since you have a modern external clone, there may not be any benefit to you in recapping the Power Supply board, but it's 5 caps and an extra 20 minutes of work so if you're already in there it would be a shame not to.

I respectfully disagree with my compadre theophile on the "to recap or not to recap" question, but I come from doing many more Denon and Pioneer turntables where you see bad caps causing all kinds of mayhem all the time to those more 100x more complex circuits. For me it adds peace of mind and resale value if nothing else. Hope this helps you and the other GT 2K fans out there- M
 
I was commenting on your "if it ain't broke don't fit it" quote. I disagree with that statement coming from watching bad caps wipe out other turntables. Recapping here does little to improve sonics like it would on a preamp or such, it is 90% preventative maintenance and possible a smoother operation if the patient was on it's last leg and barely performing. I completely agree with you that if you don't know what you're doing then get out of the kitchen. The GT-2000 is about as simple as it gets to do this kind of a job, so as I mentioned in my first post if someone has any kind of basic soldering skills at all it is well within the wheelhouse of DIY to try it
 
Well according to Fedex today is the day my GT2000L arrives. I cant wait. I did acquire one GT headshell and also bought a AT-LH13/OCC headshell. I only have an ATOC9/ML/II and a Denon 103 for cartridges and from what I can tell through research they should be good to start with. Are there any particular LOMC carts that are known to mate well with the GT stock tonearms? I am now on the hunt for a YOP-1 or I may make my own since I have the schematics for it. Hope this thing arrives from HIFIDO in one piece. I'll post pictures later.
 
Hope this thing arrives from HIFIDO in one piece. I'll post pictures later.

I'm sure it will do. I bought a Sony PS-X9 from them recently and the packaging was astoundingly good - I think it would have survived pretty much anything short of direct missile attack!

Congratulations on your purchase, too - a lovely turntable and a model that is high on my "one day..." list.
 
Well according to Fedex today is the day my GT2000L arrives. I cant wait. I did acquire one GT headshell and also bought a AT-LH13/OCC headshell. I only have an ATOC9/ML/II and a Denon 103 for cartridges and from what I can tell through research they should be good to start with. Are there any particular LOMC carts that are known to mate well with the GT stock tonearms? I am now on the hunt for a YOP-1 or I may make my own since I have the schematics for it. Hope this thing arrives from HIFIDO in one piece. I'll post pictures later.

I have tried the following LOMC's on my GT - all worked just fine in terms of compliance.

AT OC9/II
AT33EV
Transfiguration Temper Supreme
Spectral Signature MCR (currently mounted)

jblnut
 
I'm sure it will do. I bought a Sony PS-X9 from them recently and the packaging was astoundingly good - I think it would have survived pretty much anything short of direct missile attack!

Congratulations on your purchase, too - a lovely turntable and a model that is high on my "one day..." list.

So you're the one! :biggrin:
 
Thank for the reply all. It indeed arrived in excellent condition today. So far all is well and I am spinning some of my best pieces of vinyl on it. Very happy so far but I agree, I think there are many improvements to be made even though I am very much liking the quality it projects. I do notice more floor noise than with my PX2 or PX3 but I also am getting more music too. A YOP-1 is my first priority after the holidays followed by some proper isolation. I will also go ahead an recap all electrolytic this winter just to be safe. I've done may a recap job so if I take my time I'm sure all will be well. Here are a few pictures of the GT in it's new home. Makes my MX-1000 look small.
 

Attachments

  • Yamaha GT2K 1.jpg
    Yamaha GT2K 1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Yamaha GT2K 2.jpg
    Yamaha GT2K 2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Yamaha GT2K 3.jpg
    Yamaha GT2K 3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 102
In reference to the gunmetal platter, in Japan these day's most of the hardcore audio guys
are spinning 4 or 5 inch wood composite platters, all the rage but it sure does look strange.
 
Congratulations Crazeehorse!

I got an aftermarket YOP-1 for my GT-2000 and it is an improvement over the internal power supply.
 
Mark B
Where did you find the the aftermarket yop-1? I see 2 on ebay right now but they are way over priced at 600 to 700.
 
Congratulations Crazeehourse and welcome to ClubGT. Your GT-2000l looks really spectacular- I find the autolifter really handily especially if I have to answer the door/phone whilst spinning vinyl. I also was fortunate enough to get an after market Yop-1 when I bought my GT-2000 3 years ago - I agree with Theo & Mark - certainly an improvement over the stock power supply. The Yamaha Yop-1 come up on Hifido now & again around the $6-700 USD amount, they thend to sell quite fast.
 
Totem do you have any links to photos of the wooden composite platters? My understanding was the original gunmetal platter added additional stability due to the added weight, resulting in improvement micro-dynamics to the GT-2000. I wonder what the wooden composite platters bring to the table (pardon the pun)?
 
Totem do you have any links to photos of the wooden composite platters?

They were being used typical on Garrard 301's and I think a few others.
The thread was on Agon where a few members went over to japan and connected with some very hardcore audiophiles
and included lots of pictures.
As I recall the link was a third party one, if I can locate it I will post.
 
Ok I need some help guys.
I may have asked this before but can't find the answer.
I have the GT2000 headshell, which i would like to use with another table. As you all know the head shell has the screws downwards affixed to the body, so I need a reversed or bottom mutable cartridge.
Any recommendations? (I know it is easier to get a new HS...)
 
Back
Top Bottom