• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

It's Oscar Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said it was acceptable.

Not in so many words but your apologist stance of Smith couldn't be clearer.

I only pointed out the the repercussions as they occurred, from telling a bad joke about a man’s wife. However, I will not lose any sleep over it.

People who look at the big picture lose significant amounts of sleep over it indeed! It is not just about this single incident.

Who cares how Hollywood sees themselves? They are hardly the standard bearer. They are loaded with hypocrisy.

Exactly. A teachable moment they will waste because of their rank hypocrisy.


It's also very revealing the fragility of Smith's ego; reacting as he did (or even at all) which would be beneath the dignity of one truly secure within himself/herself. A great line I once heard from the classic film "A Bad Day at Black Rock" said by Robert Ryan character to Spencer Tracy which I never forgot: "I believe a man is only as big as what can make him mad."
 
Last edited:
...
It's also very revealing the fragility of Smith's ego; reacting as he did (or even at all) which would be beneath the dignity of one truly secure within himself/herself. ...."I believe a man is only as big as what can make him mad."

It's one thing for a man to be able to handle any epithets or slurs hurled at him. It is a far, far different thing to stand by while you see someone pick on, verbally or physically, someone else. That difference is magnitudes greater when that person is your wife. It is hard to reconcile 'Being a big man" with "allows wife to be verbally abused." Are you married?

While we have agreed that the personal situation I described is different than the one discussed in the thread, it DID take place in an environment where few peope knew us, and only a handful of people were privy to the "scene." Chris Rock's tasteless and cruel non-joke at the expense of Will Smith's wife and her unfortunate medical condition took place in a packed auditorium where everyone, at the very least, knew OF everyone else, and in front of the tens or maybe even hundreds of viewers watching at home.

A better course of action would have been going on stage, saying, "Chris, that wasn't funny and incredibly cruel. A true kind person would apologize to my wife immediately, right now. Are you that kind of person, or are you the person who just cruelly takes joy in the suffering of others? We'd like to know." He chose not to do that, but instead slapped him.

As another poster has said, at worst, it's a misdemeanor offense. If Will Smith is charged, convicted, and pays for the misdemeanor, that would be appropriate and I hope that Mr. Smith sees it that way, too.

The dichotomy of thought around the power of words today boggles my mind. We have phrases like "emotional violence," "Micro-aggressions," and other phrases that describe just how harmful some say words are. Yet, the very same people are eager to say, "it's just words" if the response to "emotional violence" and "micro-aggression" is a slap... and the slap is characterized as "assault" and "physical violence." I was slapped on the face and received "assault to my person" when I deserved it many times as a child. Technically and legally, yes, a slap on the face is a form of assault.

In the paraphrased words of Crocodile Dundee, "That's not assault... THIS is assault..." ;)

Either words matter or they do not. Violence, unfortunately, in extreme circumstances, sometimes HAS to be the answer, but not to words. We agree that Will's response was not a good one. We may not agree on whether or not it is understandable. I certainly think it is...... I, for one, completely understand it. It is not a question of his ego or security, it is a question of the need to stand up for those you care about.
 
Not in so many words but your apologist stance of Smith couldn't be clearer.

****you are wrong. I was only pointing out the level of the crime, but, whatever helps you sleep at night.

People who look at the big picture lose significant amounts of sleep over it indeed! It is not just about this single incident.


****I see the big picture everyday at work. It is much worse than Smith’s infraction. I am also very cynical when it comes to the behavior of people.
I got into law enforcement to help people, but what I have realized is, people do not want help. They want drama and they continue living their lives the same way, never trying to make a change for the better. I am not referring to criminals. I am referring to so called victims that prefer to live with plenty of drama.



Exactly. A teachable moment they will waste because of their rank hypocrisy.

****Just one among many. That is why they are not a standards bearer.

It's also very revealing the fragility of Smith's ego; reacting as he did (or even at all) which would be beneath the dignity of one truly secure within himself/herself. A great line I once heard from the classic film "A Bad Day at Black Rock" said by Robert Ryan character to Spencer Tracy which I never forgot: "I believe a man is only as big as what can make him mad."


****I never quote movies when talking about real life. It is Hollywood after all. It is only for entertainment.
 
It's one thing for a man to be able to handle any epithets or slurs hurled at him. It is a far, far different thing to stand by while you see someone pick on, verbally or physically, someone else. That difference is magnitudes greater when that person is your wife.

Either words matter or they do not. Violence, unfortunately, in extreme circumstances, sometimes HAS to be the answer, but not to words. We agree that Will's response was not a good one. We may not agree on whether or not it is understandable. I certainly think it is...... I, for one, completely understand it. It is not a question of his ego or security, it is a question of the need to stand up for those you care about.

Getting into a physical altercation over mere words is the act of an idiot and I don't care who the words were against. Especially if you don't know anything about the person you're about to engage with.

Most women I know would try to thwart rather than condone such a reaction (even when done in their own defense) over such triviality rather than see the situation escalate in childish exhibition of machoism with the high potential of making the situation much worse..

A lot of good it's going to do teaching some jerk a lesson if it winds up getting a knife or gun pulled on you! I pick my battles wisely. That's just common sense.
 
Last edited:
Been watching several videos breaking down yet another Main Stream Media Hoax. Zoomed in you can clearly see both men laughing, and as Will walks away. Then when the video is slowed down, Rock starts moving back before the slap. The slap hits him near the neck and shoulder, not the face.

If this is what they have to do to get more sheep to watch their crap, I am glad I missed it and never have watched one of these shows.
 
My thoughts on the incident was that it was about the reaction of the target of the joke and its effect on W.S. being put on the spot. I can't judge him for his emotion driven reaction to the perpetrator of the awkward situation.
https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/28/osca...mith-reaction-behind-will-smith-hit-16358094/
Furthermore, there may have been a general understanding that her condition was off limits for public comment that C.R. violated, knowingly or otherwise.
 
I can't judge him for his emotion driven reaction to the perpetrator of the awkward situation.

Really? I can. Emotions be damned. Whenever a murder is committed due to someone's "emotions" would you not judge them either?

No life or property was being threatened. .The only "threat" was to Smith's ego and having his wife's vanity ruffled. In the eyes of the law his behavior was unacceptable.
 
Last edited:
Getting into a physical altercation over mere words is the act of an idiot and I don't care who the words were against. Especially if you don't know anything about the person you're about to engage with.

Most women I know would try to thwart such a reaction (even when done in their own defense) over such a trivial one line gaffe rather than see the situation escalate in childish exhibition of machoism with the high potential of making the situation much worse.. A lot of good it's going to do if getting into a showdown winds up getting a knife of gun pulled on you. I pick my battles wisely. That's just plain smart.

That's the difference between chauvinism and machoism. Most women I know do not want escalation, period. Not speaking to or of anyone here but, as with some guys, there is the other type, they enjoy it. That type will instigate not missing an opportunity and with woman compared to men women operate without fear of direct contact, they want to watch.

Never escalate and if necessary, it be absolutely necessary, draw and shoot immediately.
 
Really? I can. Emotions be damned. Whenever a murder is committed due to someone's "emotions" would you not judge that either?

No life or property was being threatened. .The only "threat" was to Smith's ego and having his vanity ruffled. In the eyes of the law his behavior was unacceptable.
The only real slap in the face was to the audience. It is what they think of us. Rating are down, way down, and it can't their fault.
 
Pre planned drama to get people talking about their circle jerk again. They lost over 80% of their viewers (57 million down to 9.85 million last year) and needed a headline. If you watch Chris he is sticking out his chin with knees bent ready to turn away as Will uses only the tips of his fingers. Both are smiling before and after the so called slap and WIll even laughs at the GI Jane joke before walking up on stage. Will trained for Ali for months on how to make a punch look real, these are professional actors. Listen to Chris after the slap he doesnt skip a beat in his delivery of his lines after the staged event. Seen alot of slaps and punches over the years and never seen one go down even close to that drivel.
 
I was only pointing out the level of the crime

The severity of the crime was never in dispute to begin with.

I am referring to so called victims that prefer to live with plenty of drama.
We are not talking about some nefarious "other people". We are discussing a specific situation involving specific individuals. Have you direct knowledge that Chris Rock likes the drama of being assaulted?

I never quote movies when talking about real life. It is Hollywood after all. It is only for entertainment.
Some of the best life lessons come from some of the most unlikely places I've always found. But you've obviously decided for yourself this is impossible on some arbitrary basis so probably best for you stay with that.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom