• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Just recieved 103 free LP's.

klama2006

Super Member
I got them from a relative. its all 60's-70's stuff. Mostly instrumentals, and hippie music.

It looks like I got something to keep me busy for the next few weeks.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
They were kept in a basement for who knows how many years. The one problem is they smell really musty. I'm going to have to figure out a way to get rid of the smell.
 
They were kept in a basement for who knows how many years. The one problem is they smell really musty. I'm going to have to figure out a way to get rid of the smell.

Put the covers out in the sun. Clean the records. Replace the inner sleeves.
 
Put the covers out in the sun. Clean the records. Replace the inner sleeves.

Thankyou for the suggestion, I will do that.

The first record I put on, and is playing now is Judy Collins, Color of the day. It's a pleasing album. I think this is the first time I'm listening to her music. I'm liking it.
 
Nice haul. Enjoy the sorting, cleaning and listening. Check out that Buffy St. Marie LP. I have that one, includes a cover of Neil Young's Helpless.
 
That looks like a fun haul. I've really started to enjoy some of the really odd stuff you can find on vinyl that will never, ever, get released on something else. A lot of it sounds pretty great on a good system.
 
they smell really musty....[how]....to get rid of the smell.

A musty smell is really a mold and you need to kill it off. If you have an automotive body/detailing shop around you, some of them deal with cars that have gotten moisture issues. What they do is they ozone them. Maybe try just phoning around, see who does it and then drop around and chat with the boss. Explain your hobby and what your problem is....they might be amenable to giving you a call when they are going to do a car and you just put the album covers in the are and let the ozone do the work.
 
fcongrats on the albums.

Something that has worked for me with musty smelling covers is this:
1) pour some diluted bleach on a clean sponge
2) wring out most of the moisture -- the sponge should barely feel moist
3) lightly, and I mean lightly! wipe the album cover (sometimes I do the interior too if it's really stinky). if you've done this right the album cover will not really seem to have gotten wet
4) make sure they dry well (in the sun is great, but if it's too cold / stormy room temp works fine)
5) get rid of the inner sleeve
6) I then place the cleaned covers in a plastic box (like rubbermaid or sterlite) with a snug fitting covers
7) in that box I put two containers of baking soda
8) every couple of days rotate the covers so that they get exposed more evenly to the baking soda

I've found that sometimes it takes a week or more, but most of the smell is gone. Not 100%, but enough to be able to smell a difference.

Oh, and I also have found that I can remove some covers sooner than others.
 
A musty smell is really a mold and you need to kill it off. If you have an automotive body/detailing shop around you, some of them deal with cars that have gotten moisture issues. What they do is they ozone them. Maybe try just phoning around, see who does it and then drop around and chat with the boss. Explain your hobby and what your problem is....they might be amenable to giving you a call when they are going to do a car and you just put the album covers in the are and let the ozone do the work.

I have a Ozonizer, when you have two large 85#+ dogs, it's a mandatory item in any household. I'm going to try the ozone, along with the sun idea. Hopefully the sun will work through a living room window, because I don't think my small ozonizer would be able to pull it off by itself. And it's already cold in the chicago area.

But if I'm still having problems, I'll also keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks for the help.


On a side note: Has anyone tried UV lights, would that help? I have a UV sterilizer for a bacteria water filter that is used in a marine aquariums. I no longer have the aquarium setup, but still have the light.




Edit: Also thanks to reneborg for your suggestion as well. I'll try them all.
 
Last edited:
Congrats. Forget about the musty smell... well, get rid of it. More importantly, it looks like you have some real gems in there and it starts with the Freewheelin Bob Dylan and Masekala records. Let's see some more pics.
 
Back
Top Bottom