• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha GT-2000 Turntable Social Group

I have a dated Pass labs Xono, seems as though you purchase soundsmith from a dealer, I figured you buy directly from them. That puts a new spin on it and a middle man makes money for doing nothing but sending an email or phone call.
 
I hoped you'd talk me out of it, should've know. Better. The Paua MK11 sure does excite me upon reading reviews, twice my budget sort of! It's available in a dual coil mono also, what is that?
 
MY GT-2000 arrived last week! After a long delay in shipping it arrived in CA, from Osaka, in three days looking no worse for the wear despite the UPS driver leaving the box on it's side (I guess he wasn't trained to understand two giant RED Arrows and "UP")... Hi-Fi Do's packing lives up to it's reputation in every way. Sadly, I haven't had time to do much but assemble the basics and strain my back a few times moving it around. It is absolutely stunning and I can't take my eyes off of it (I'll get some pics up soon - it's tax weekend). The aftermarket feet are high quality solid stainless steel, adding about 6 pounds weight (it weighs in at 68 lbs), but with zero suspension. I also bought a Yamamoto HS-3 headshell (8.5g which will put me right at 18 g with the Hana MH) and a replica YDS-3 disc stabilizer from Samurai electronics in Japan (they sell internationally on ebay and I've had good luck buying turntable parts and headshells from them, FWIW). I fired it up (yes, with a step down transformer) and it's rock steady at 33 and 45... all the tonearm components, switches, bezels, etc. are in mint condition. The new dust cover is perfect, save for a few tiny scuffs, and there are only minimal dings to the plinth, at a few bottom side/corner areas, which are almost invisible with that light-absorbing black hole finish. By the way, I see a lot of folks here complaining about the appearance (and apparent uselessness) of the speed indicator module... I don't understand the hate - if you consider that it was also intended to be a finger rest (as shown in the manual) it seems as logical and perfect as everything else about this work of art... imho, anyway. I hope to get some pics up soon.
 
Last edited:
I'm looking for a new cartridge for my GT, I have around 2 grand or slightly more to spend. I'd like to try a soundsmith design? What do you say guys? I'd also want it to be compatible with both ya-39 and the 407/23 ta's if possible?

I would recommend a higher end Ortofon to anyone looking to get the most from their GT. Since getting a Kontrapunkt h on my table I have been totally blown away with the overall level of transparency and realism that I am getting. VAS just refreshed the suspension on mine and it is better than ever.

I like my AT ART9 too but I think the Ortofon might be a tad more neutral.

Jblnut
 
So whenever you buy from Hifido they've recapped the table? I would think the GT would almost be the easiest piece of gear to re-cap! Another reason to own one.
 
I don't think they re-cap them all, but they outline the entire service schedule performed (I notice some items only get a 1-year warranty - I got 2 years)... here was my listing:

Create a new dust cover! Auto lifter with YAL-1! The most popular domestically
produced DD record player model. Gutchillly solidified chassis and direct drive motor
with precision unmatched high torque. It is a model that was built tightly with Japanese
aggressive method. The crisp and hard tone of the outline creates a delicate and deep
tone. ※ The insulator is an external product. The body has a feeling of use such as
dents, abrasions, dullness etc. Serial 03431 (Hachiken Masaaki) Maintenance
Information: 2021.3.9 Maintenanced (motor bearing cleaning lubrication. Arm Lifter
Grease Up Arm disassembly cleaning. Bearing lubrication. Pivot adjustment. Electrolytic
capacitors, film capacitors, semi-fixed resistors, XLR connectors (rear power supply
terminals) replacement. Disassemble the auto lifter and replace the degraded parts.
Turntable rotation speed check, arm operation, needle pressure check. Appearance
cleaning, sound out test, and other operation check. Dust cover creation.) Accessories
 
I think they aim just to get it working in a decent condition, free of faults etc. They won't replace caps just for the sake of it.

I've seen heads on the reel to reel machines they sell that are pretty much on their last legs but still sold as 'ok'. I got on the wrong side of their vinyl guy, but that's probably a good thing - saving me tons of money. Overall, they are to be recommended.
 
Fortunately we haven't seen, I know I haven't, not even one GT table that didn't work other than shipping damage which is to be expected from most anyone other than a reputable shop or person who knows what the hell there doing with packaging!

Has anyone seen a broken Or otherwise bad motor that didn't function properly on its own accord? Like the Victor's, many of them are boat anchors.
 
I’ll be in touch soon great to hear you’re well and still contributing to this forum.
I know a couple of members were asking about YOP-1 I stumbled across a Japanese YouTube video of a DIYer with GT2K which may be of interest.


He has another video aboot a power supply he put together which inspired me to try the same, its works like a charm. However, if you look back through my posts you will see a reply from I think it was Tekniknissen that mentions something aboot the GT's are not protected against voltage increase and that using these makeshift power supplies could be risky.

EDIT: I searched back through and the comment Tekniknissen made was in reguards to the internal capacitors being rated for 24 volts, and my power supply reading 25.7V. If you notice in the video Mr Niyodo's power supply is running at 25.4V, so just a heads up for those that are considering making one of these as they are very easy to build.
 
Last edited:
Hi gang! My GT-2000X has been in storage since end 2019, fortunately I’m moving next month into a new house with a purpose built room for music. Hopefully I’ll be up and spinning in May (fingers crossed) I’m jonesing bad for some vinyl playback. I’ll post some photos & impressions of the big X once we settle in.

Thanks again Theo for taking the time to explain your isolation experiments with your GT-2000 in the other thread really interesting reading.

Mark I was wondering if you ended up with a preference sound wise between the custom made copper and stainless steel platters?
Hey @mrtim6, I'm glad to see you've got your GT-2000x out of storage!

I've run both SS & copper platters on the GT-2000 in my main system and I didn't notice any sound quality difference between them. If there is it's subtle.

Aesthetically I prefer the copper platter on the GT-2000 and the SS platter on the GT-2000L :p.
 
So I decided to recreate Mr. Niyodo's newest YOP-1 "clone" today. Almost, mine only needs a single output and I never used ferrite beads on the output.

I used a Mean Well LRS-50-24 switching power supply, a digital current/voltage meter, the XLR cable from the last power supply I made and a gutted computer power supply.

The computer power supply worked great as it already had a plug in and on/off switch, its just a little ugly.

My multimeter read 24.01V the digital display reads 24.2V so I left it at that. RPM was spot on at 33.33rpm according to the app I have on my phone.

I feel much more comfortable using this power supply than I did with the last one that was running at 25.7V. Now I can do some critical listening of my favorites to see if there is an improvement in sound quality. Eventually I will create a nice pretty case for it, I'll add it to my things to do list.

20210414-195757.jpg
 
Hi Mark- yes if I was to upgrade the platter, your copper one looks fantastic- it’s similar in aesthetics to some of those beautiful large Micro Seiki turntables.
Unfortunately my GT2KX won’t be set up for another month.
On another note, I’m very impressed with the YOP-1 clone experiments GT owners are doing.

Hifido
My experience with Hifido has always been positive, their email communications are very helpful. I would often ask questions relating to servicing of the item purchased. I’d recommend anyone who buys a GT2K to email them some questions about the item in purchased. Despite being a retailer, I found them to be honest and not full of hyperbole, unlike some vendors here in Australia. This is why I have over the years purchased quite a few items from them including my GT2KX. Also as previously mentioned they KNOW how to safely and logically pack large items like turntables and vintage speakers. Their postage is not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom