• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha GT-2000 Turntable Social Group

There is a YGT-1 on the bay with a starting bid of $2,990. Too rich for my blood, but would hope that someone here can pick it up for a reasonable price.

Interesting that he doesn't have it double listed on the Yahoo JP auction...which means he's hoping to get more for it than he would in Japan. I'd say getting it from SD's guy is a no brainer.
 
As fate would have it I bought a YGT-1 through Yahoo! Japan one day before sunnyday posted about the fabulous aftermarket version that he had fabricated.

It finally cleared customs in Tokyo today (that took a week) and it should arrive next week.
 
As fate would have it I bought a YGT-1 through Yahoo! Japan one day before sunnyday posted about the fabulous aftermarket version that he had fabricated.

It finally cleared customs in Tokyo today (that took a week) and it should arrive next week.

I doubt you will regret it. Which deck are you thinking to install it on?
 
As fate would have it I bought a YGT-1 through Yahoo! Japan one day before sunnyday posted about the fabulous aftermarket version that he had fabricated.

It finally cleared customs in Tokyo today (that took a week) and it should arrive next week.

Congratulations!!! You are going to love it!
 
The YGT-1 arrived at my door yesterday.

When I answered the knock on my door I saw a USPS employee with a large rectangular box next to him. The box was set on one of the short sides and was leaning over. It didn't look right. After greeting the post man saying I was expecting the delivery I asked him to turn the box over, which he did. I saw a hole in the side about 2" wide by 4-5" long and I could see empty space within. I leaned over and could see the end of the platter wrapped in paper and small bubble wrap. There was no bubble wrap on the edge of the platter that had obviously been protruding through the box when that end of the box was facing down sitting on my doorstep.

I decided to refuse delivery due to the obvious damage to the packaging and considering that the platter had impacted that end of the box and the surface it landed on least once with enough force to smash a hole through the box. The only remaining protection for the platter following that impact was several layers of what appeared to be light wrapping paper.

I've contacted Buyee, and given that I specified and paid an additional charge for "protective packaging" I don't expect a problem resolving a claim.

I feel sick.
 
The YGT-1 arrived at my door yesterday.

When I answered the knock on my door I saw a USPS employee with a large rectangular box next to him. The box was set on one of the short sides and was leaning over. It didn't look right. After greeting the post man saying I was expecting the delivery I asked him to turn the box over, which he did. I saw a hole in the side about 2" wide by 4-5" long and I could see empty space within. I leaned over and could see the end of the platter wrapped in paper and small bubble wrap. There was no bubble wrap on the edge of the platter that had obviously been protruding through the box when that end of the box was facing down sitting on my doorstep.

I decided to refuse delivery due to the obvious damage to the packaging and considering that the platter had impacted that end of the box and the surface it landed on least once with enough force to smash a hole through the box. The only remaining protection for the platter following that impact was several layers of what appeared to be light wrapping paper.

I've contacted Buyee, and given that I specified and paid an additional charge for "protective packaging" I don't expect a problem resolving a claim.

I feel sick.

:eek:

I am so sorry to hear this Mark. I hope your claim gets handled swiftly.
 
Fingers crossed. I'm going to Japan next year and my first stop is going to the Junk Shop. With any luck I'll be able to supervise the packing even though I understand that The Junk Shop has no issues with packing heavy turntables.
 
My Paypal claim for a refund after returning the YGT-1 to Buyee was resolved in my favor today. Paypal credited my account for the full purchase price.
 
Last edited:
I've ordered an aftermarket YGT-1 platter in stainless steel (non-magnetic) from the fabricator who made that gorgeous YGT-1 in copper for AK'er sunnyday.

I contacted the fabricator through eBay and I'll be buying the platter through eBay. It will be ready in ~ 8 weeks as it will take awhile to get the stainless billet.
 
Last edited:
I've ordered an aftermarket YGT-1 platter in stainless steel (non-magnetic) from the fabricator who made that gorgeous YGT-1 in copper for AK'er sunnyday.

I contacted the fabricator through eBay and I'll be buying the platter through eBay. It will be ready in ~ 8 weeks as it will take awhile to get the stainless billet.

That's great news Mark! I bet Theo will be so overcome with jealousy that he will want a stainless platter again. :rflmao::D
 
Oh and who noticed the differences between the two photos?

The platter in the first photo is mirror polished while the platter in the second photo still retains lath machining marks. There's a big difference between the Onkyo PX-100M copper platter and the GT-2000 YGT-1 platter. The Onkyo copper platter is 10kg with a diameter of 33cm. The GT-2000 YGT-1 is 18kg with a diameter of 37.4cm. The greater mass and radius of the YGT-1 translates to a much great moment of inertia.

I'm not a mathematician, but the moment of inertia for the YGT-1 (18kg) or replica's should be at least 3 x greater than the 1.2t / cm² of the stock GT-2000 platter (5.8kg).
 
Last edited:
The Vintage Knob shows the MSRP of the Onkyo PX-100M was 500,000¥.

That's the price of a GT-2000L with all optional accessories. The GT-2000x with YGT-1 would only be 440,000¥.
 
Last edited:
Big thumbs up Sunnyday and many thanks for gorgeous pics. I might be interested of your aluminium original platter if it's up for sale anytime. I have to admit that Mark was right about running that motor without the platter wouldn't work. I was mistaken and thought the FG-servo could manage without that big mass but I was wrong. I weighted my loose motor with some platter simulated by a big flywheel of cartoon and some weight for the mass and then everything was running all right with locking led on the speed indicator so now I'm more up for the challenge to make a replica.

808_state welcome to the Centennial edition club :beerchug:. Did you find that MX in Japan or closer?

Tek, if the course of this thread holds true...I think there will be an avalanche of standard GT platters available for you in the very near future. We might even be tripping over them :D

I got the MX in Japan and it will be there in storage for a while (along with my other amassed treasures...) until I can get over there and ship it back to myself. I'm really excited to take my setup to the next level.
 
The GT 2000 was the great value flagship which was successful like no other Japanese DD flagship. Part of the reason for the PX-100M's pitifully low sales figures had to be that it was attempting to compete with the Yamaha GT 2000 series. The Yamahas, with YGT-1 pretty much trumped(no double meaning here. Just clarifying) the available competition with great optionability, great value and amazing performance as the icing, frosting and cherry on the cake. In one corner the GT -2000 smokes the market. In the other corner the PX-100M barely sells, quietly fades away and is terminated as a project. I guess that Yamaha's market research was better. The GT was a product that was beyond reasonable reproach at the time of its release and remains that way 35+ years after its launch. That is a magnificent testimony to all involved in getting it to market in the first instance.

Absolutely.

It's too bad for analog lovers that the GT-2000 wasn't marketed worldwide.
 
Tek, if the course of this thread holds true...I think there will be an avalanche of standard GT platters available for you in the very near future. We might even be tripping over them :D

I got the MX in Japan and it will be there in storage for a while (along with my other amassed treasures...) until I can get over there and ship it back to myself. I'm really excited to take my setup to the next level.

Very nice! I got the original rubber disc/rubber seat from Japan and last friday I managed to get my drawings right to match the original profile of the platter. So now it's just the real manufacturing process to take care of to manufacture a copy of the platter or just wait if I'm too lazy as you say there might be more original platters available soon ;). I also like the look of the stainless steel platter so maybe I go for that material instead in my replica.
 
Back
Top Bottom