• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha GT-2000 Turntable Social Group

Not yet...audio funds are toasted after a major speaker upgrade this fall.

On my radar though...

Jblnut
 
Not yet...audio funds are toasted after a major speaker upgrade this fall.

On my radar though...

Jblnut

While I can definitely relate to toasting out the audio funds, for me ultrasonic is a must for cleaning vintage records because it brings out all the texture and detail that's hiding beneath the final microscopic layer of muck that soap can't remove. It's the final 1% improvement I can truly hear. But, for others it may be unnecessary and not worth the trouble.

Cost aside, the boost in sound that a heavier platter may provide, might just be the final nanometer of difference to complete the sonic presentation someone is looking for. If Sunnyday says he hears a difference I believe him. With the GT, mass is always the key.
 
I’m guessing it’s the Wand from New Zealand. Very interesting arm and seems to be highly regarded. Would be very easy to install on a GT 2000.
 
I really wish Mark would hurry up and install the Thomas Schick, LOL. I can't wait to see what it looks like and read his feedback.
 
I really wish Mark would hurry up and install the Thomas Schick, LOL. I can't wait to see what it looks like and read his feedback.

It may seem like I'm dragging my feet on this, but I'm anxious to try the Schick arm.

A friend (AK'er bobfalk) is going to do the plinth modifications and fabricate an armboard to mount the Schick arm. He has the shop, tools and experience to do the job properly. I hope he'll be able to get to it this summer.

thomas-schick-231-final2-thomas-schick.com-1170x600.jpg
 
Last edited:
As the owner of one of these fine tables, I am somewhat skeptical that there is anything 'wrong' with the existing 20lb platter that needs improving. So for those of you taking the plunge, I am curious about what is compelling you to part with your hard earned cash.

Pick any that apply?

1 - I think the heavier platter will translate into better sonics
2 - I think a different platter material will translate into better sonics
3 - It will look much nicer with a copper or SS platter
4 - All of the above

Not sure what is 'strange' about my posts or questions. No need to answer if you are offended somehow. It's just that unless I already had a $2k cart or $2k phono stage (or both), I would look at those first for sonic improvement.

What happened with the Voice Theo?

jblnut

4- All of the above. Anyways, I like the idea of a tricked out turntable without spending more than 20k for a contemporary DD turntable like the new Technics and VPI 40th anniversary. I recently upgraded my phono preamp to the Parasound JC3+. I have the new AT Art9 cartridge but have not put in yet. Still evaluating the sound of the phono preamp with the old AT33ptg III, before putting in the Art9. Now that the turntable is as good as it can get, I am turning elsewhere to get my components upgraded. Looking to go to monoblocks and a separate pre-amp, then the last thing will be my speakers. :)
 
Does anyone have recommendations for a good quality step dowm transformer or 120v external power supply?

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m320416300

This is exactly what you need. Full stop.

There are many bid proxy services to help you purchase this from Japan if you don't have a connection there (ie. Shopping Mall Japan). Buyee and Aleado are not the only ones.

Welcome to the GT thread and Audiokarma!

-808
 
4- All of the above. Anyways, I like the idea of a tricked out turntable without spending more than 20k for a contemporary DD turntable like the new Technics and VPI 40th anniversary. I recently upgraded my phono preamp to the Parasound JC3+. I have the new AT Art9 cartridge but have not put in yet. Still evaluating the sound of the phono preamp with the old AT33ptg III, before putting in the Art9. Now that the turntable is as good as it can get, I am turning elsewhere to get my components upgraded. Looking to go to monoblocks and a separate pre-amp, then the last thing will be my speakers. :)
I'm very happy with my AT-ART9. I think it's comparable to my ZYX R1000 Airy3.
 
Last edited:
That seller makes different versions, one of which works directly with 120 volts. I have one. No step down needed.

The Japanese text says that it works with 100-120V: 電源環境100-115-117-120V対応品 IEC3P インレットタイプ  

I have a special order 240V version from the same seller and I'm very happy with it.
 
The Japanese text says that it works with 100-120V: 電源環境100-115-117-120V対応品 IEC3P インレットタイプ  

I have a special order 240V version from the same seller and I'm very happy with it.

When I got mine the seller had no idea there was interest in them outside of Japan but told me he could build a unit compatible with 120 volts. A few months later I started noticing versions for Europe as well. Mine works perfectly and I'm glad this guy is still around.
 
I think many Japanese would be surpirsed to learn that this GT 2000 thread, and community of sorts, exists.

While the Japanese are always very interested in all things external to their country, they do seem to be very surprised at the level of interest in things within their borders that even they would consider to be estoteric. I wish more Japanese television shows were available on legitimate streaming platforms, they're typically fantastic.
 
Nope...it's still my best source. Don't see a need to upgrade it either (platter, external PS, straight arm, etc) but I can see others are having fun on that course.

Jblnut
 
I'm going to ask a few of you guys a question:

I see that many of you have been upgrading your systems, big time. Have any of you felt that the GT 2000 was the weakest link in the upgraded system? In other words, with the upgrade of other areas of the complete system, did you feel that the GT was able to keep pace and 'scale'up' with the other improvements?

I see that you guys seem pretty happy with your GTs. Am I just seeing what I want to see?

Heavens no. It's one of the primary bridge piers. The GT simply tells you if you are going in the right or wrong direction.
 
Back
Top Bottom