• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which speakers with your McIntosh gear poll?

Which speakers with your McIntosh gear?

  • McIntosh

    Votes: 49 9.3%
  • Klipsch

    Votes: 70 13.3%
  • PMC

    Votes: 9 1.7%
  • Sonus Faber

    Votes: 44 8.4%
  • Wilson Audio

    Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Thiel

    Votes: 12 2.3%
  • Magnepan

    Votes: 23 4.4%
  • B&W

    Votes: 82 15.6%
  • Martin Logan

    Votes: 22 4.2%
  • Other

    Votes: 205 39.0%

  • Total voters
    526
First option, Jérôme; very very happy with Watt Puppy 8 , and they just are 1 year old!

It's Christmas, so they got a gift: brand new 1.2KWS last week.

I notice in your second option that you always speak of prices in your posts!

Wow! Jean Marc, did not know you have made the switch. Congratulations on the MC1.2K and certainly, they are happily partnering the Wilson 8's.:thmbsp:

You the man!!! :yes: :thmbsp:
Cheers!:banana:
 
First option, Jérôme; very very happy with Watt Puppy 8 , and they just are 1 year old!

It's Christmas, so they got a gift: brand new 1.2KWS last week.

I notice in your second option that you always speak of prices in your posts!

Merry Christmas Jean Marc. So how have the 1.2Kw's changed the sound of your Watt Puppies? I know when I crank up the volume to 90 on the 501's my speakers really sound magical. So I'm sure that extra juice must make your speakers really sing.
 
Thiel CS7.2...due to take delivery Jan 15th!!! :banana:

20080617162529_QtCa.jpg
 
Hello Jean Marc,

Congrats for your new amps !! I'm sure they will make a big difference over the previous ones...( :D ).
I know of course for Wilson owners, it's the first option !!! I suppose you buy speakers when you love them.
Second option is just my personnal opinion about Wilson speakers. To me they are overrated. Only exception is the Alexandria, but I will never be able to afford them !!
Talking serious Hi-Fi without any consideration for price paid and cost effectiveness is a non sense for me. And I think it is for you also. If it wasn't, you surely would have given yourself a chance to listen to the LP12 SE, before buying the Clearaudio. But actually, your clearaudio set-up could be more cost-effective than the Linn and your choice could be the best one according to your budget.
Unless being billionaires (well, from what I read in newspapers, french social security is considering bio labs as billionaires right ??? :D:D), cost effectiveness of our separates cannot be ignored !! If its is ignored, we just have to buy the same set-up as Ivan and we'll be all Masters !!!!

Have a great Hanucca Jean Marc and once again congrats on your new babies !!

Hi Jérôme,

You won't be forgotten by our government and our social security,which actually are scratching our jobs, because here in France they say that orthodontists (like you are) are over radiologists and pathologists!:yes::D It's in the newspapers too!


About the Linn, I would not have bought this one , I don't like the look!:tresbon:

Once again, don't talk only of money... let's talk talk about music and passion !

Great Hanouka to you too and family.
 
Yeah, the Maxx3s and Alexandria 2s do have that "My evil circuits will activate, the tweeters will start glowing red, the speaker will unfold into a menacing, chain-gun wielding robot that will start spraying everything and everyone in the room with 50mm caliber bullets" look to them. :yikes:

I just glanced at my maple plank Sonus Fabers and imagined what the worst thing that could happen would be... the only thing that came to mind is a twig with a young, green leaf... :smlove:

There... And I haven't even started drinking this evening yet...:scratch2:

Thank you, that was an awesome description, and funny one at that. :D :beerchug:

They will probably be in the next transformers movie on the side of the Decepticons. Now that would be some product placement. :yes:
 
Jean Marc,

"You won't be forgotten by our government and our social security,which actually are scratching our jobs, because here in France they say that orthodontists (like you are) are over radiologists and pathologists! " :
you're right on this. I earn my life quite well, and I'm very satisfied with my income. My statement on bio labs was just a joke because I know your job can't make you a billionnaire ! it does not seem you understand my humour. Sorry for that.


"About the Linn, I would not have bought this one , I don't like the look!"
For me sound is more important than look. When the look becomes more important, we're talking about decoration and I think there are other forums for that. Anyway, the new LP12 does not have the same look as the old one you owned. But I admit with no objection that your clearaudio looks stunnig !

"Once again, don't talk only of money... let's talk talk about music and passion !" :
no surprise this remark comes from a french. Here in France, everybody thinks about money, but it's dirty to talk about it. Every american knows that !
Maybe I'm wrong, but AK is based in the US, where talking money is just like talking meteo, books or anything else. So I'm sorry if it makes you upset when I talk about money here.
Maybe you don't know it but I was born in Montreal and I made post grad there. So I consider myself more "American" than french !

I will continue to compare products in relation to their price, because :
1) Many people here could testify that I always talk more of the sound, than of money.
2) you're the only person who seems to disapprove it
3) once again : would you A / B your C1000 with a C220 ? I don't think so. Price is an important factor in our choice for Hi-Fi products. If it's not the case for you, then we are not in the same league, and you're just a lucky guy.


"Great Hanouka to you too and family" :
You too !!
 
Jérôme,

That's right, I don't have any sense of humor these days with all that will happen for our jobs because of Europe. I'll stop here these political considerations, AK is certainly not made for this.

On the Linn, this time I made humor, sorry you didn't get it; I thought you knew how much I loved my LP12!

I don't have any problem talking about money, do I have to consider I'm not french? I said this because the only time you visited my system, you didn't really listen to the system (, in fact you were not able to listen because there were too many people present this afternoon, and the meeting was not in this aim, just to meet other "audiophiles" ) and I noticed that you only talked about the price of WP8 and 1201s with a friend of mine, who reported this to me later! However, my system is very different now with the place of the speakers, it opened the soundstage, and with the place of the sofa, and with the spikes between the Watt and the Puppy etc... Iwould be very happy to make a demo with you, without many people around talking, drinking, eating etc...

Yes I'm a lucky guy with my setup, but don't get me wrong, price is an important factor to me too, but sound more : for example, I never thought I would be able to buy WP8 because of the price, I was happy with BW802N ; but when I seriously listened to the WP8 when I bought my 1201s, I knew that it was the sound I wanted, and months later, I offered the WP8 to the 1201s.

Sorry if I hurted you.

Jean-Marc.
 
"Sorry if I hurted you.

Jean-Marc.[/QUOTE]"

That's OK JM, no problem !!

I'm absolutely sure the WP8 were not well set-up when I came to your house. I tried to tell it to you, but there was too many people and I think you did not get my remark.
No doubt they are great speakers. If not, Wilson would not be selling them like hot cakes !
I just think :
1) they might be very difficult to set-up ( your dealer seems to be very young and experience in this subject is highly important ).
2) their price seems to me very high, compared to other speakers. Their look is stunning though, so that's certainly a big part of where the money goes. But my opinion could easyly change listening to them in the proper set-up.

Was your friend who told you I was only talking money the "Bel Canto" guy ?
If it's him, it's funny, because he opened the subject, stating your amps were not good ( :D ), especially compared to their price. He stated that a pair of class D 1000 W monoblocks from Bel Canto could do much better with your speakers, and at 20 % the price of the 1201's ! I felt He was wrong on that because I never liked class D amps. We started talking money after that. I was sure that the problem was coming from the position of the speakers;
My friend Frederic with the Komri also stated 10 minutes after listening that the WP8 at their price, could not sound this way; there was an obvious problem for him. He sated also that his Komris at 70000 euros with the active Klimax filters were really cheap compared to the WP8. You see, everybody is talking money. Not only me !! :yes::D

I'm very glad to know you found the right position. You have good ears, so I was sure it would be coming one day !
That will be a great pleasure to listen to them once again, properly set-up.
I'm sure I will be amazed.
Thanks for your invitation,

Best wishes,
 
I'll make it short, we are not in the right place to talk of that.
The guy you talk is the Importer of Bel Canto in France, do you understand now? BTW, his Bel canto's are for sale.

Wellcome for another invitation, in january will be possible. And I'll be glad to listen to your new PMCs you'll get soon.

Best regards.

Jean-Marc.
 
Jean Mac,

Money, Money Money, Its a Rich Man's World .... and so the song goes! :D

No doubt about it, money makes the world goes round and everyday, everyone is talking about money, be it making, spending, boasting, its all about the end result of what money does.

However, in this forum, I believe, people like us are not into this "money talk" BUT rather into the PASSION of McIntosh, how it enriches our lives, brings a laughter when a hard day's done with .. whether they are coupled to McIntosh speakers or other makes, its all about the love of music thru McIntosh! And the various question and answers about our favorite brand! :yes:

This I believe and seriously, I did have some bad moments sometime back and if not for Ryan and Serge, I would not have bounce back so quickly to my cranky self!

And even I have never met any of you in person, I do treasure the friendship build thru this forum! Cheers! And may everyone have a Wonderful and Merry Christmas! :music:

Now, IF I have the money, I will come to France and pay you a visit, then go to the holy McIntosh land where the "Master" resides! That would have not only made my day, but perhaps my life .... cause at least I will get to meet the nice guys (to name a few, Jim, Vic, Jesse, etc, ...)! I bet on it!

Once again, Merry Christmas to all of you! And a Happy New Year 2009! :thmbsp:

Cheers! :banana:
 
Hi Jerry,

I couldn't have said it better! I'm absolutely all right with your words.

I would be very happy to meet you in Paris: if you come let me know!

Jean-Marc.
 
Most Klipsch are extremely efficient therefore I'd be running the MC275 :thmbsp:
Not only that but the fact that they are so efficient that normal listening levels may require fractional wattage output and many SS amps do not sound their best that low.
 
Back
Top Bottom