• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha GT-2000 Turntable Social Group

So the guy selling the GT-2000x with all the extras finally broke down and put it up for bid. He should have actually parted it out and then would have got his full asking price. Ten g's is a serious psychological barrier for most people.
Just saw-The auction has ended... sold for $11k amazing
 
I just sent Christopher Thornton (of Artisan Fidelity) an order for 4 GT-2000 YGT-1 platters (3 stainless steel & 1 copper). One of the SS platters and the copper platter will go on my GT-2000 & GT-2000L, and the other 2 SS platters will be added to my audio gear collection.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:
 
I just sent Christopher Thornton (of Artisan Fidelity) an order for 4 GT-2000 YGT-1 platters (3 stainless steel & 1 copper). One of the SS platters and the copper platter will go on my GT-2000 & GT-2000L, and the other 2 SS platters will be added to my audio gear collection.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Wow! Congratulations?
 
I just sent Christopher Thornton (of Artisan Fidelity) an order for 4 GT-2000 YGT-1 platters (3 stainless steel & 1 copper). One of the SS platters and the copper platter will go on my GT-2000 & GT-2000L, and the other 2 SS platters will be added to my audio gear collection.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk: (one for each platter!)
 
Thanks guys, I'm really excited about this.

I expect that once my order is completed anyone will be able to special order a YGT-1 from Artisan Fidelity.
 
I just sent Christopher Thornton (of Artisan Fidelity) an order for 4 GT-2000 YGT-1 platters (3 stainless steel & 1 copper). One of the SS platters and the copper platter will go on my GT-2000 & GT-2000L, and the other 2 SS platters will be added to my audio gear collection.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Wow respect that is an nice addition to your Yamaha's could you share with us what the prices are?
 
Wow respect that is an nice addition to your Yamaha's could you share with us what the prices are?

AK has this weird hangup about listing the price of items in any place other than the dollars and sense forum. You may see us refer to how much an item went for in an auction or shipping cost but even that is frowned upon. PM's are probably the best way to ask about such things...just trying to keep the microscope off of our beloved thread.
 
I for one thought "It can't be that hard to get a YGT or the equivalent machined independently". Well we have seen that it can be fraught with difficulty and unforeseen setbacks. The problems kinda make me regret that I didn't get one of those stainless steel platters off Yahoo Japan Auctions when they were available(150000 yen at the time).

Subsequently, members stuck their neck out, to canvas machinists regarding the possibility of having an exact YGT custom made. Brave stuff and inspiring as well as some disappointing results. With the supply and demand situation inflating the price of YGTs. The obvious incentive is to save thousands of dollars by bypassing the supply bottleneck. Get one machined.

We have already had testimony(I can't recall who...) from a user with a stock platter that the sound quality is decidedly better upon substituting the YGT( ie more of the good things that the GT 2000 series brings to the table). It isn't necessary but it doesn't hurt the sound quality in the least. If one doesn't want it. There is ZERO pressure. Pimp your GT 2000 or don't pimp it. It'll sound wonderful with nothing more on it than records and a cartridge.

However for those who love that sound and want more of the same: The GT 2000 is the pimp turntable to end all pimps. It was envisaged as a 'all the bells and whistles' project at the blueprint stage. I'll refer back to Tekniknissen's find of the prototype GT-7, which had the socket for the external power supply. The turntable was designed to incorporate the other elements. So who would decry anyone wishing to taste that?

We've now seen that getting a platter to fit a spindle with vacuum suction fit is a monumental task. It really makes you realize how much effort was put into perfecting the fit and finish of this table, especially for a mass produced item.
 
I don't have that specific one, but another gunmetal (or is it copper?) mat and prefer it over the original rubber. My preferred combination is a heavy copper/gunmetal mat with a thin leather mat on top and then the Yamaha wood & copper weight.
 
I highly recommend using this type of mat coupled with a heavy weight. I use the Micro Seiki CU 180 with a 37oz/1kg weight (see profile pic). I would think the Puresound version offers the same benefits.
 
image.jpg Ok so I have found an individual (ret machinist) who alleges he can complete a ygt-1, I’m gonna bring my stock platter over sometime this week for him to take a look! Is the ss the better material over gunmetal or brass or copper? Gunmetal sure looks nice. Also have started on the oem plinth
 
Last edited:
If weight has anything to do with it, here are the approx. weights in pounds per cubic foot, with Copper being the heaviest. However I think bulk Copper is currently the most expensive at the moment. I think that's why most people are going for SS platters and platter mats, as the raw cost appears to be about $1 per lb cheaper.

1) Brass - 535 lbs/cuft
2) Copper - 560 lbs/cuft
3) SS - 495 lbs/cuft
4) Gunmetal - 545 lbs/cuft
 
I would like to know why Yamaha used gunmetal in the first place? Easy to mill? Less expensive than other materials? It’s cast using four different metals with copper being 80% I believe? Finding a source for gunmetal brings up India.
 
I would like to know why Yamaha used gunmetal in the first place? Easy to mill? Less expensive than other materials? It’s cast using four different metals with copper being 80% I believe? Finding a source for gunmetal brings up India.

I think I posted the formula breakdown by % for their gunmetal formula somewhere many pages back.
 
I am attracted to Stainless simply because of discussions I have seen between Micro Seiki fans about the relative merits of the different platters they have used on their turntables.

What are those merits according to them? My sense is that copper & gunmetal would sound warmer and less sharp than steel.
 
Back
Top Bottom