• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha GT-2000 Turntable Social Group

Mark B did you do any comparisons between the original platter and the other heavier ones.

Very curious to your opinion in this?
 
Mark B did you do any comparisons between the original platter and the other heavier ones.

Very curious to your opinion in this?

The Artisan Fidelity SS & copper YGT-1 platters yield the same improvements as the eBay sourced SS platter which I described in earlier posts. I've copied those posts below:

I've listened to the GT-2000 with SS platter extensively and switched between the SS platter and the aluminum platter playing the same piece of music. I prefer the SS platter. IMO it makes a bigger difference than the external power supply.

I did another comparison today of the stock GT-2000 platter and aftermarket YGT-1 in stainless steel. Tracks used:

Leonard Cohen ~ You Want It Darker
Leonard Cohen ~ Treaty
Fotheringay ~ Banks Of The Nile

The results were consistent with all 3 tracks. The music was more focused and coherent and bass was deeper and more palpable with the SS platter. The improvement is distinctly greater than that yielded by the YOP-1 compared to the internal power supply.
 
I still have the GT-2000X I’m moving so I had to rationalise.

Oh I understand you gotta do what you gotta do...I'm just such a hoarder that I couldn't bring myself to part with any of it. I'm confident your beautiful 2000x will perform dutifully in it's absence.
 
This is all new territory for the GT 2000 series. What we have speculated about for many years regarding aftermarket heavyweight platters, has come to pass. No longer are we beholden to the second-hand market. Moron flippers who are buying the original YGT and reselling at twice the price, now take a bath. High quality better priced alternatives for the first time obliterate the necessity to deal with inflation merchants.

I want a stainless steel and a copper platter. I shan't get both and I truly envy Mark.B that he has a slew of heavyweight platters to play with. Which should I get Mark? Copper or Stainless? Which gives more of the GT experience?
If there's a difference in how the GT-2000 sounds with the copper vs stainless steel platter it's subtle. If I had to choose one I'd get a copper platter.
 
Last edited:
No longer are we beholden to the second-hand market. Moron flippers who are buying the original YGT and reselling at twice the price, now take a bath.

In fact there's no guarantee that the platter they are selling at a champagne & caviar price is authentic. It could very well be a (well made) replica. At least for Mark and Sunnyday they know where theirs came from and that it came in the known material of their choice.
 
I will reveal now that AK member BilboBaggins has paid for a GT 2000L from HiFiDo. I will add his name to the quickly growing list. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much theophile! I am absolutely ecstatic to be joining Arkay's social club. I was notified this morning that the unit has been shipped to Fedex and received there. Two boxes. And, I was notified by eBay this afternoon that my money has been refunded for the GT-2000 that never was shipped. I bought it on October 2nd, and immediately started having misgivings. I was going to order the power adapter from HiFiDo at the same time, but the unit they had left was a little beaten up.

I have to say I am very impressed with HiFiDo so far! Very easy to work with and highly recommend anyone planning on procuring a GT-2000 to use their services. In that way, you can avoid the drama I encountered here.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/newbie-to-ebay-and-paypal-need-advice.888857/

I had to give up my treasured TEAC Z-7000 and my beautiful minty Thorens TD-160, but I am confident that with everything I've read about this turntable, it will bring my vinyl experience to a new level, and perhaps reveal areas in my system and need to be improved upon. I'm going to start by connecting it up to my living room system, comprised of a McIntosh MC2205, a leestereo restored and upgraded C26, and 1981 Cornwall speakers. Waiting with baited breath for delivery Thursday afternoon/evening.
 
With the short days and long cold nights here, my love affair with the GT has been renewed. The Ortofon Kontrapunkt h I bought this summer is now fully broken in and making such beautiful music I can barely believe it. I put on an old favorite the other night (Jeff Beck 'Blow by Blow') and it was literally like hearing it for the first time. I had never heard all of the subtle things he did as he changed his picking style many times over the course of a song. Sure, the notes were the same as always but his genius had another level I had never been able to appreciate before.

I am enjoying the pics of the cool new platters you guys are putting on your GT's. Keep 'em coming! My money is going to keep going into carts and phono stages, but if I ever find the performance limit of this machine it's nice to know where I can go next.

Jblnut
 
The journey that led to my buying a GT-2000L is kind of funny. I had a Thorens TD-160, a Yamaha PX-3, and a Sony PS-X600 as my main players in the house. The Thorens has been with me the longest, Yamaha 2nd, and the Sony is the newest. During the summer, I went to Montreal and bought a Kenwood KD-550 while I was there. Because it has a tonearm that is easily replaceable like the KD-500, I started flirting with buying another arm with micrometer adjustable VTA. I missed a very nice one right at the beginning of my search. That got me looking at other tonearms. Then I realized that maybe I should open up my search to include turntables. Some very nice Kenwoods were recommended, but then I saw the Arkay's social group and that reminded me that I was very impressed with what I read when I first encountered that thread. I reread everything on this thread and others I found on the internet. When the dust settled, I was determined to get one. I had the source of funding in my TEAC Z-7000 and Thorens TD-160. At least, very close to it. So then I purchased the GT-2000 on eBay. In the meantime, I listed the TEAC Z-7000 with a I don't want to sell number attached to it. Well, someone made me an offer that was very close to that number, and that was that.

It is interesting what theo says about the GT-2000, because I have a feeling that I was hearing that kind of detail in my TEAC Z-7000. There was something about how that tape deck sounded that grabbed me and pulled me into the music. Even the tapes I made with it sound much better than any others played through my Denon 3 head unit. It even sounded better than the records! I'm looking forward to experiencing the Gigantic and Tremendous GT-2000.
 
@theophile I’m confused, I see posts here going back to 2009. Isn’t that when the private group started?

Hard to believe I’ve had mine for a decade. I bought mine off of craigslist in Berkeley about 90 miles from my home. Many thought it was a scam but it wasn’t. The table was brought over from Japan and was used in a nightclub. It needed a little TLC and plays perfectly.
 
This morning, I got a call from Fedex to let me know my packages had arrived, and that there are customs forms to complete. Did that at noon, and brought my new baby home. It really does feel like a new member has joined the family. All I can say, is wow! This unit is stunning! And it is Gigantic and Tremendous! It looks brand new! I've taken some pictures of "the unveiling". I'll post them later as I am working right now.
 
I probably won't be able to share all the pictures with you right now. When it rains, it pours. That is, it is raining, and pouring outside, it is also pool night, and my wife is at the hospital with her dad. I'm probably heading over shortly. He just lost his wife, and he fell three times his morning. Not good!

Don't think pool will happen, and limited listening time.

For starters, "the unveiling!"

IMG_2010.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2011.jpg
    IMG_2011.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2012.jpg
    IMG_2012.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2013.jpg
    IMG_2013.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2014.jpg
    IMG_2014.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom