• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha GT-2000 Turntable Social Group

That's a possibility, or it could be a high spot preventing the platter from seating properly.

Hopefully just a little bit of polish or shave then to let it sit fully flat. Looks killer!

Mine does pretty much the same when removing or installing the aluminum platter, it's so well mated that there is suction.
 
It'll be interesting to see whether the fabricator gives Mark a report on what they uncover when they examine it again.
The platters arrived at the fabricators yesterday. I received this message from the fabricator this morning:

I have inspected the platters and compared the center tapered holes and I must tell you that they are almost identical. I am ordering a precision ground tapered cutter in order to guarantee the correct angle.
 
FWIW my copper platter fits perfectly on my table. I think the fabricator used my platter measurements to make the SS platter for Mark B. I am surprised as well when Mark reported the slight wobble. Hopefully the fabricator will be able to fix it.
 
I don’t think these guys just drill a hole as we would using a drill press of some sort. It’s a precision fit over the spindle of which requires a great deal of effort to accomplish. I would say if it’s too large he would have to bore it larger and install a bushing. That would be welded in and basically a huge screw up on his part and many hours correcting this.
 
I just checked on two Japanese DD and the spindles are tapered giving us a tight fit. I bet the GT is also? If it’s tapered how do you mill that?
 
I just checked on two Japanese DD and the spindles are tapered giving us a tight fit. I bet the GT is also? If it’s tapered how do you mill that?

Hence the precision ground taper cutter that the fabricator is ordering. I'm guessing it's not cheap.
 
I'm not going to speculate on what tools the fabricator used to make the copper platter for sunnyday and my SS platter. My hope is that the fabricator acquire whatever tools are needed to consistently produce these platters with the precision necessary for a perfect fit.

I'll provide an update when I receive the SS platter back.
 
I turn on a wood lathe and cut a hole in the center of a work piece by moving the tailstock with a bit in it towards the headstock while the workpiece is spinning, I imagine a machinist would do the same, he would cut the smaller diameter then using a cutter would taper the hole! I’m thinking he just didn’t taper it and has a through hole of the larger diameter! Conjecture, least he’s taken care of it.
 
Wait until the turntable arrives. Try your YOP out while it is connected to the GT and get back to us if there are any problems after that. We might be able to be of assistance.
Discovered the problem with the YOP-1. Someone made a repair to the switch, and in doing so, oriented the link at the end of the switch 'rod' horizontally, while the slot in the back of the switch is vertical. This changes the length of the rod, because the connector cannot nestle into the switch. So, my solution was to leave the cover un-screwed, and let it sit forward a bit to account for the lengthened rod assembly. Not ideal, but alternatives seem quite complicated as the plastic is all glued together.20190504_172301.jpg20190504_172321.jpg
 
I received the stainless steel platter back from the fabricator. It still doesn't fit.

I sent the fabricator this message:

"I received my stock platter and the stainless steel platter and have the stainless steel platter on the turntable. The fit of the SS platter on the spindle is looser than it was before and it still wobbles slightly. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the center hole is too large. I'm not happy with the situation. What are your thoughts on what to do next?"

The fabricators response was that there nothing else he could do, and I could return the platter for a full refund.

I'll be returning the stainless steel platter. I'm doing it as an eBay RETURN rather than a NOT AS DESCRIBED so the seller doesn't take the entire loss on this fiasco. I'll end up being out about $250 for shipping.
 
I had no idea this was an eBay sale! Couldn’t you keep the platter and find a local machine shop to repair this?
 
I had no idea this was an eBay sale! Couldn’t you keep the platter and find a local machine shop to repair this?

If the hole is too big then you would almost have to drill it out so much so that you could create an insert, otherwise it's an extremely heavy paperweight. I wonder if a little bit of teflon plumbers tape would be enough to fill the void.
 
I had no idea this was an eBay sale! Couldn’t you keep the platter and find a local machine shop to repair this?
Yes, it was an eBay purchase. Oddly it doesn't show under sold or completed auctions, and is not searchable by item number. I can only locate the original listing by clicking on the auction listing in my eBay.

If I kept it it would be at the full price of the auction (~2.2k$).

It needs a bushing installed to fit snuggly on the tapered spindle. I believe an easy fix for the right man.

Undoubtedly an easy fix for the right man. Finding the right man is the hard part.
 
Last edited:
I’m gonna rouse a local machinist to get a ballpark price on a platter, I could be out in left field though and perhaps it’s more work than I’m willing to spend. Is it an exotic type material needed? I’m thinking you guys need a group buy from someone who’s a perfectionist.
 
Back
Top Bottom