• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What happens when theres no WAF

Well, there's embracing what you are, and then there's slipping it a roofie and having your way with it.

:yes:

Your place looks great, BTW.

I'm working on making the mancave a welcoming haven instead a stress-inducing dump for busticated stereo stuff.

Still have a way to go yet.
 
Well, there's embracing what you are, and then there's slipping it a roofie and having your way with it.

lol..best line I've read or heard all day!

seriously...i have a bit too much stuff in a closet that i should get rid of but i'm just too lazy to go through the hassle to sell it or junk it.I'm also awaiting a new CD transport so i can sell the one I'm currently using in a package with it's matching amp and preamp[hopefully recouping cost of said CD transport]...

i like gear,but i will only use one system at a time..the best one i can put together...anything more is wasteful of time,money and space...repeat that three times as often as required if you know you have "issues"
 
Hey CCHeath, I used to own one of those Akai tape decks in the left stack in your picture. Pretty good quality deck from the mid 80's. I loved when you dropped the tape into the door and pressed play the door would close, nifty feature. What was that model a GX-51?? Thanks for the memory.

It's a GX-F31 and they are being used still. Despite of being lower model than GX-51, it still has that door feature you described. :yes: One had been rebelted and the other just been cleaned. Both works.
 
What happens when there is no WAF: You an end up with some pretty nice stuff!

Got a line on a 'minty' (totally professionally restored) 1971 British MG sports car for $10g, it's worth 14g. Without a wife ... I would of owned it 2 weeks ago.
 
Last edited:
Hey John I'm married to one(int. designer) we've had disagreements about gear but we always find a compromse.I hate clutter too.

Yeah, but she cooks and look how -- no disrespect meant! -- HOT she is. Damn, I'm sure that makes it a LOT easier for a loving husband to compromise :yes:
 
Hey John, I see why we differ on many threads now.

I would have an eviction notice in one week from a place like that. The other day my wife was talking about living in a condo when the kids are older. I thought I was going to have a panic attack.

I will never be able to do the neighbour thing.

marc mc
 
Its does get cleaner I swear

There its back to normal.All the equip. goes to its hidding spots and wala a clean almost sterile room.Granted down to 2 systems but thats was the change this time.
 

Attachments

  • P6220059.JPG
    P6220059.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 145
  • P6220060.JPG
    P6220060.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 94
  • P6220061.JPG
    P6220061.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 73
  • P6220062.JPG
    P6220062.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 94
I don't feel like posting pics right now, but as I have been evolving, so have the furnishings.

And my plan when I get my newest preamp and a DBX-400 is to make an actual nice looking system from maybe 8 components.

John, your room is gorgeous, and I only wish my gear looked half that good...or that I had a budget for decorating.

Piles of vintage gear can trigger the "f*** yeah awesome!" response, but loving among it for an extended period of time can be tiring.
 
Got a line on a 'minty' (totally professionally restored) 1971 British MG sports car for $10g, it's worth 14g. Without a wife ... I would of owned it 2 weeks ago.
The Brits perfected planned obsolescence. If you can flip it take the cash and run while you still can. I would be surprised if anyone would go that large for an MGB unless it belonged to Andy Green.
 
Guess it depends on whether you're a Felix Unger or an Oscar Madison... I'm guessing more of us are Oscar...
 
I'm certainly Felix, though hopefully a bit less fey in my mannerisms. The cat is about 25lbs.

As for it being Hugh Hefner's place, I've actually been to what used to be the first Playboy headquarters here in Chicago. It's now a film editing place, and when they moved in, Hefner's Hi Fi was still in the building...and one of the owners is a tube fanatic. So the Hi Fi is still there, running all day. it's a mono system, centered around a tube integrated amp and corner speaker. I want to say it's a Bogen amp.
 
I've actually been to what used to be the first Playboy headquarters here in Chicago. It's now a film editing place, and when they moved in, Hefner's Hi Fi was still in the building...and one of the owners is a tube fanatic. So the Hi Fi is still there, running all day.
Nice!
 

There's also a pair of Marantz mono blocks there, VTL gear everywhere, a 10b tuner...awesome place, though only the one mono setup was Hefner's. Anytime we need a little in-town film editing or film color correction I try to do it there because I dig all the gear they have laying around (and they do a great job, and are really nice folks on top of that).

There's certainly no WAF issues there, but I guess there would be client issues. It's a good study in how to display gear and to let it look more like a collection than a hoarding problem. There's a fine line.
 
Due to the WAF component, lotsa gear is sidelined out of view until it comes back into rotation.


Laidstack.jpg


When it comes out...I do prefer it neat anyway.

Pioneerstack.jpg
 
There its back to normal.All the equip. goes to its hidding spots and wala a clean almost sterile room.Granted down to 2 systems but thats was the change this time.

Not to change the subject, but where'd you get that stand...the one with the two TTs on it?
 
Back
Top Bottom